--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Bhairitu <noozg...@...> wrote:

> authfriend wrote:
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, TurquoiseB <no_reply@> wrote:

> >> Let's get all Walden on this issue's ass and cut to the
> >> bottom line: "Was/is the 'dosha model' EVER sufficient
> >> to explain fuckin' ANYTHING, or was it always a cult
> >> phenomenon, useful only when preaching to the converted?  :-)
> >
> > I'm wondering which cult Barry believes Bhairitu
> > converted to...
> >
> > As I said earlier, I don't believe Ayurveda can cure
> > serious mental illness.
> >
> > On the other hand, as Bhairitu went on to point out to
> > Rick, the dosha system was never intended to "explain"
> > anything; it's just a classification system. It's
> > descriptive rather than explanatory. The issue is whether
> > it's useful as such.
> >
> > And of course Barry is *totally* off-base to claim that
> > the dosha system has never been anything but a "cult
> > phenomenon." That's just extraordinarily ignorant; it's
> > difficult to believe that even Barry is *that* ignorant.
>
> I would consider Barry's expertise on ayurveda to be about
> the same has his expertise on astrology. :-D

And a number of other things as well...

I think he may have done his standard drive-by read and
assumed it was a TMer talking about doshas, so he felt
free to call the system a "cult phenomenon" on that basis.

But not to be aware of even the most basic history of
Ayurveda is pretty amazing.

> As for the use of ayurveda in treating mental illness it
> has probably not been explored much by convention medicine.
> But my friend who is a psych professor may know if such
> research is going on and he is visiting this week.

I would imagine Ayurveda can be useful in a supportive
role for someone suffering from severe mental illness.

> Conventional medicine these days seems to come out with some
> things that reflect that they've been looking at Asian medicine.
> I think if clinical psychologists and psychiatrists could find
> something that doesn't turn patients into zombies they would be
> very happy.

Not to mention their patients!

> My Ayurveda practitioner was a psychiatrist and would be
> able to comment professionally on this.

Be interested to hear what he has to say.