>From the Christian Science Monitor:

This from today's Wall Street Journal:

Photos of the Beck event clearly show a big crowd. The weather was great –
whatever the exact figure, there were a lot of people there. The area along the
Reflecting Pool stretching out from the Lincoln Memorial was packed. Groups
were gathered under trees far on either side. Large conglomerations of folks
gathered all the way to the Washington Monument.

The crowd was big enough to disrupt Washington's subway system, with service
from at least 12 stops disrupted due to long lines for entry.

Given that context, let's wade into the numbers.

Rally organizers, in applying for their permit, said they expected a crowd of
up to 300,000. And on Sunday, after the rally, Beck himself said on Fox News
that the event drew 300,000 people on the low end, and perhaps as many as
650,000 people on the high end.

Rep. Michele Bachmann (R) of Minnesota, at her own rally held on the edges of
Mr. Beck's event, said, "We're not going to let anyone get away with saying
there were less than a million here today because we were witnesses."

However, a firm hired by CBS News to estimate the crowd put attendees at
between 78,000 and 96,000. The firm, AirPhotosLive.com, had three estimators go
over high-resolution aerial photos of the event, and then combined the three
estimates. (One of the estimators talks about the experience here.)

These kinds of debates over crowd attendance go way back.

We'll close with Joni Mitchell's line: "By the time we got to Woodstock, we
were half a million strong . . . "

Except they probably weren't. Organizer Michael Lang later estimated the
Woodstock crowd at about 400,000. Only half of those had tickets.
The final tally:
Sky News: 500,000
NBC News: 300,000
D.C. Official: 300,000-325,000