--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "curtisdeltablues" <curtisdeltabl...@...>
wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "wayback71" <wayback71@> wrote:
>
> That was an interesting response.  Many cool points, especially the one about
> the good guys and the "others'!  Gives me a LOST flashback.
>
> I am not anti control.  I also try to keep my eye on the things I can control
> to improve my life and others. (In that order!)  I believe that the otherwise
> dubious AA, who adopted this prayer:
>
>     God, grant me the serenity
>     To accept the things I cannot change;
>     Courage to change the things I can;
>     And wisdom to know the difference.
>
> is brilliant if you just drop the God part.  I can just as easily ask myself
> to stay clear on this distinction and manage how pissed off I am willing to
> get about shit that just happens.  Weather, known douchbags acting like
> douchbags, my car F'ing, up don't get on the front page of my pissed off
> meter.  In fact my pissed off list is getting pretty short since I faced the
> death of a loved one and figured out the conveyor belt we are on. (SPOILER
> ALERT: it doesn't end well.) So every day I am alive starts with a big plus
> and I give myself a lot of slack for the bumbling way I go about trying to
> bend the world to my will.  I have some pluses, I advance my pawns, I give it
> the old college try, and try not to be too unkind to my dumbass for not being
> a superman.  Dropping the perfectionist standard of enlightenment was a big
> help in my own acceptance of my flaws.

Yeah, me too - that perfectionism is a heavy burden, especially for TM
teachers.

Curtis wrote:And since the high and mighty are dropping like flies into the
"even I am not that much of an asshole" bin, I'm spending more time whistling
while I work.  It seems that we are all bozos on this bus and that suits me
just fine.

Wayback: Good thoughts, great attitude.  The conveyor belt image is, well, I
guess grimly true.  Basically, it sounds as if you are saying that many of the
Enlightenment Industry ideas get in the way of honest living and complicate it
too much.  So true. I have had to drop a whole ton of spiritual baggage over
the years. It's been a interesting journey, and honestly I am glad I have had
the spiritual exposure.  I think the question you bring up is if people really
need religion and spirituality to modify or improve their behavior, or if they
would be just as "good" or even better off without it.