--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "TurquoiseB" <turquoiseb@...> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "jpgillam" <jpgillam@> wrote:
> >
> > in 1977, my TM teacher training course leaders were
> > adamant about being accompanied by a buddy at all
> > times. Going somewhere unaccompanied was a good
> > way to get dismissed from the course.
>
> And you never considered this demeaning and
> insulting?
>
> In the guidelines sent from Seelisberg to the
> Regional Offices back in the mid-70s for teachers
> of residence courses, it clearly stated that the
> schedules of the courses had been designed to
> *prevent* the participants from having any time
> alone (except in meditation or sleep), and to
> *prevent* them from having any "free time." No
> reasons for this were given in writing, but in
> a followup phone call to the Regional Office,
> one Seelisberg toady gave the reasons as follows:
> "If they're not kept busy all the time, or with
> someone else all the time, they might develop
> doubts about TM or the program. It's our job
> to prevent that from happening."

But that makes no sense. Being with a buddy
doesn't stop you from having doubts. Buddies can
even reinforce each other's doubts. And the
course leaders can't decree that you fall asleep
the minute you enter your room at night. You can
stay awake all night hashing over your doubts.
Sounds like this particular toady was making it up.

> Compare and contrast to organizations in which
> doubt is considered a natural part of the spir-
> itual process, and open questions about those
> doubts are freely answered and dealt with. The
> TM approach was to keep such questions from
> ever arising.

In my experience, doubts were freely expressed
during the course meetings. And teachers would
try to respond to them, not keep them from
being discussed.

> And this was *before* the "You've all got to
> do your meditations and your butt-bouncing
> together, in one room, where we can keep track
> of you" mindset took over. I would suggest that
> the latter is an outgrowth of the former.

That's just paranoid.

> I don't know how you feel about all this, but
> my position is that NO spiritual organization
> has the right to control what I choose to do
> during periods of "free time" or attempt to
> try to make sure I don't have any.

Of course it has a right to do this. If you're
using the organization's facilities and taking
advantage of the teaching and practice the course
provides, the organization has a perfect right to
set the rules, just as you have a perfect right
not to go on the course if you find the rules
impossible to follow.

But that's a *different issue* from whether the
rules make sense.

It's entirely possible to decide to go along with
rules you think are silly in exchange for the
opportunity to take advantage of whatever the
course is offering. Adults in general do this all
the time in many areas of society when they feel
the benefits of whatever it is they want to do
are worth the inconvenience or annoyance of going
along with the rules.

If they believe the rules are really harmful,
they may engage in civil disobedience or other
activism to change the rules. But they don't
usually pick trivial rules to challenge--it's
not worth it.