-- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "TurquoiseB" <turquoiseb@...> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "PaliGap" <compost1uk@> wrote:

[snip]
> > For example - prayers for someone who does not know
> > the prayers are being made, or yagyas performed, or
> > whatever.
>
> I consider these possible, but as unlikely as
> being struck by lightning. Twice.
>
> > Personally I don't share your certainty. (That does not
> > mean I "believe" either. I'm open-minded).
>
> I also said nothing whatsoever about "certainty,"
> and in fact went out of my way to indicate that
> I *wasn't* certain. Sounds to me as if you're
> making shit up to have something to argue
> against.

It's all words. No big deal. I just feel if someone
says something is "as unlikely as being struck by
lightning. Twice", then they're expressing a lot of
confidence in what they believe. "Certainty" seems to
be a reasonable word for that. No need to get irritable,
I can take it back!

I thought you were saying something interesting. i.e.
All of this woo-woo stuff is "placebo". If you're saying
"most of it is, but some may not be", or "I think it is
but then again I have no idea", that's far more nuanced
(and uninteresting?)

"Placebo" is fascinating IMO. It is readily used to
explain away troubling results. As in "it is *just*
the placebo effect".  But it seems to me that it must
exclude effects that happen without the knowledge of
the patient.

But as far as their is any evidence for woo-woo cures,
what evidence that there is will sometimes rule out
that key pre-condition for placebo.

For example... All "woo-woo" performed on animals.

A friend of ours down the road has a bit of a reputation
as a "healer". Her neighbour is the most non "new age"
character you could possibly EVER imagine. But he is
convinced she has helped him, and sees her regularly for
woo-woo sessions. "Placebo"? Maybe. On the other hand she
also does "healing for pets" and effortlessly obtains
loyal followers when she attempts this - our household
included, as it appears she has done something to improve
the health of our cat. ;-) Personally I don't know what
to make of it (I never do!), but I see some correlation
at least.

On the other hand, perhaps *I'm just trying to start
an argument*!

The verb "to FFL":

I make interesting posts
YOU are just trying to start an argument
HE is just responding to having his buttons pushed
SHE is stalking me
THEY are going to have their posts ignored if they
don't LISTEN UP!