Which brings me back to the need (for me anyway) to rely on the brain I have to
judge whether or not something is right or wrong or some shade in between.

For many years around MMY, I interpreted any action of his whether outwardly
"wrong" or inconsiderate or whatever, as perfect. If MMY got angry at someone,
it was only for that persons' good. If MMY got sick, it was because he was
taking on the karma of someone....if he treated someone with cruelty (as he did
when he literally spat water given to him by one of the staff women back in her
face) it was surely a "lesson' she should be thankful for.

Bit by bit though, I allowed myself to see his actions as being nothing more
than they appeared to be on the surface. If he was angry, it could well be he
was in a bad mood. If he got sick, it might be from picking up a virus like
anyone else. If he was rude and cruel to someone, it might be because he was
capable of rudeness and cruelty.

For me, trusting my own view of reality...my own interpretation based on the
sum total of my experience and knowledge up to that point in my life, has
proven to be much more rewarding for me than relying on or counting on any kind
of magical thinking.

YMMV of course.