--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "authfriend" <jstein@...> wrote:

> (Comments below.)
>
> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, blusc0ut <no_reply@> wrote:

> > > Yes, exactly!

> > > Total agreement.

> > I also agree with this line of thought. Of course IF someone
> > is enlightened, then, quite likely his mistakes will
> > actually effect the good.
>
> But "good" from Nature's "perspective," not necessarily
> from ours. Sometimes we can see the good effects of
> what at first appeared to be mistakes, sometimes we can't.
>
> > Of course this isn't a proof that somebody IS enlightened.
> >
> > The whole argument is a variation of the one that since the
> > gunas create everything, everything is just perfect as it
> > is - you know this free will/determination argument.
>
> Yup. And the corollary, which Lawson attributed to MMY
> awhile back. Q: Maharishi, if everything is perfect just
> as it is, why are we working so hard to change things?
> A: That too is perfect just as it is.
>
> > As in this case Maharishi wouldn't even know what is
> > good, but would invariably do it - ultimately and
> > involuntary.
> >
> > I am actually sure that Maharishi knew this - it's part
> > of Indian philosophy, there are stories about this, even
> > though I can't think of one right now.
> >
> > It's debatable though, if this is *always* the case, just
> > think of the Judith book, how would you interpret it in
> > the same light?
>
> You could argue that it drives home the very point we're
> agreeing about, liberating us from the notion that
> enlightenment means perfect behavior by human standards.
> That gives us permission, as wayback suggested, to
> strongly disapprove of his behavior without assuming it
> means he wasn't enlightened.

Well, it's a good way to look at it at least. And a good conclusion to make.

> It's all an aspect of what I was talking about earlier,
> that when you take any authentic teaching about Unity as
> far as it will go, it just sort of dissolves in paradox
> and infinite regress, and there you are walking the
> tightrope without a net, just as you were before you ever
> heard about enlightenment.

Riiight. And it needs courage to face it, from either side I mean. It's easy to
point your finger and say, this is a justification of everything, a mere
sophistry, as Turq says, as it is just as easy to dismiss it as Nabby does and
say, well he knew it all along, he intentionally did it that way, or simply
deny such acts, like the Judith book. Personally I don't like if people cannot
change viewpoints. The mind has to be fluid IMO.

IOW, you can't be a True Believer, because you know that it all, ALL can be
wrong, and I agree, that you have to make your own judgements, go by your own
sense of what is right and wrong, IN ANY GIVEN SITUATION, because your life
situation may vary, and your relationship to a guru may vary. In most cases,
this argument, is a retrospect argument, a retrospect view on things, as I see
it. The bottom-line is, go by what you think is right, do what corresponds to
your ethical standard, but keep your mind fluid at the same time.