--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Vaj <vajradhatu@...> wrote:

> On Mar 1, 2011, at 6:41 AM, blusc0ut wrote:
>
> > Since we are having this discussion here about splitting the mind,
> > and the topic of Gurdjieff came up, as an example of practises
> > *not* to do in TM theory/dogma, I think it's worth having a second
> > look on it, what it actually means from a proponent of Gurdjeffs
> > teaching. It is easy to misinterpret a teaching on the basis of
> > half-knowledge and hear say. So I found the following video,
> > explaining double attention, and, you know what, it actually makes
> > sense. Our awareness is naturally able do perceive many things at a
> > time, once we are in the witness mode. But once we concentrate on
> > something, it tends to occupy are mind more or less exclusively, we
> > get identified and are not in-the-flow. See the video and you will
> > see that it is something we actually do all the time.
>

>  From the POV of Mahasandhi (Dzogchen), choosing "silence" over
> movement (of thoughts) is what creates the false division. When one's
> established in the nondual state of presence (vidya or rigpa),
> streams of thoughts can be meditation as well. Therefore, from the
> POV of the Natural State, one could say it's dualistic meditational
> practices that divide the mind, not it's own natural tendency:
>

> "When we practice habitually in this way for a long time, the mere
> arising of thoughts becomes the meditation itself. It makes no
> difference
> whether thoughts arise or do not arise. The boundaries between
> the calm state and the movement of thoughts collapses completely.
> The movement of thoughts is now seen directly as indescribable light,
> the manifestation of the clear luminosity of the Base which is the
> Primordial State. These movements bring no harm or disturbance to
> the profound calm at the center. Rather than movement occurring as
> discursive thoughts that are inherently limited and restrictive, it
> occurs
> as a direct and immediate knowledge or gnosis (ye-shes) that is
> everywhere directly penetrating (zang-thal). Thoughts spontaneously
> manifest as this directly penetrating knowledge (ye-shes zang-thal)
> without any intervening process of transforming impure karmic vision
> into pure vision, as is the case with the Tantra system of practice.
> Nevertheless, to the outside observer, the mind of the Siddha
> may look deceptively like an ordinary mind because very mundane
> thoughts continue to arise; but all is not sweetness and light here.
> The Yogin continues to lust, hunger, and defecate as long as he is in a
> physical body, the product of past karma. Even though the morning
> sun strikes the glacier, the ice does not melt immediately; similarly,
> all the qualities of enlightenment do not immediately manifest, even
> though the mind has realized enlightenment. But whereas the ordinary
> individual is forever trying to create or suppress thoughts (dgag
> sgrub) and so continues to accumulate the energy of the samskaras
> [...]

This is truely amazing, Vaj, really great! Thanks for sharing it.

I once had an experience after reading 'Mahamudra' of the 3rd Karmapa. Somebody
told me I should read something Buddhist, so I went to the library and picked
up this small pamphled. While reading my thoughts were pushed out, and I felt a
stream of intuition coming through the top of my head. When I went home, the
experience continued, I went to the kitchen to eat something, but I just stood
there and stared, whatching this process inside of me. I then decided to go to
my room and meditate, but I couldn't even get into meditation pose or start a
mantra, I would have obstructed the process. This went on for at least two
hours.