--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, blusc0ut <no_reply@...> wrote:

> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, blusc0ut <no_reply@> wrote:
> > >
> > > Since we are having this discussion here about splitting
> > > the mind, and the topic of Gurdjieff came up, as an example
> > > of practises *not* to do in TM theory/dogma, I think it's
> > > worth having a second look on it, what it actually means
> > > from a proponent of Gurdjeffs teaching. It is easy to
> > > misinterpret a teaching on the basis of half-knowledge
> > > and hear say.
> >
> > Just for the record, the person (moi) who mentioned to
> > blusc0ut what a TM teacher had said about Gurdjieffians
> > as an example of what TMers should not do was not
> > endorsing what the teacher said about them and explicitly
> > expressed doubt about its accuracy. The teacher's
> > Gurdjieff example had nothing to do with the point I was
> > making in any case. My point was not about the validity
> > of the TM teaching we were discussing, much less did it
> > suggest that the Gurdjieff example validated that teaching.
> >
> > I'm hoping blusc0ut now understands this, as he didn't
> > at first.
> >
> Judy, this was not addressed to you in particular.

I didn't think it was. I was addressing those who might
have seen my mention of Gurdjieff without having also
read my later explanation to you, after you had
misunderstood the point I had been making.

> The topic came up, and it interests me. I see it in the
> context of my ongoing investigation of my own past
> conditioning, of our conditioning I might say, and as
> such I share it.

That's fine with me. I'll be interested to watch the
video.

 I believe that terms like 'splitting
> the mind' are communicated and defined by such stories.
> If you thought they where accurate or not, it may have
> been such incidents who contributed to the whole set-up
> of the TM philosophy and structure.

Certainly possible, although I have the sense the
rationale represented by the cloth-dying analogy and
"dividing-the-mind" concept was already established
in MMY's teaching by the time MMY encountered the
Gurdjiffians and started using them as a horrible
example. (The tape Tom described is clearly what the
TM teacher I mentioned was thinking of, so it wasn't
just the teacher's weird idea, it was MMY's.)