--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "emptybill" <emptybill@...> wrote:

> This is all loose talk.

Sure. I am just paying reference to the TM theory  of 'dividing the mind'.

> Dividing the mind? Which mind? How?

Right. This is only a metaphorical way of talking, dividing the mind, better
would be to say 'dividing the attention', even though this is also not quite
true, as our attention is very well able to have a wider scope of objects.
Think of driving (once again). You have to look in front and observe the
traffic in front of you, watch the cars of the other lane, if you are
overtaking, if somebody is going to pull out, have a look into the rear mirror,
to observe the traffic back, you may have to look at your speed, etc.

While the expression 'dividing the mind' is obviously metaphorical, it still
has the subtle suggestion as you would somehow damage the mind, in the sense of
leading to an unwholesome habit, which is left intentionally vague I think. It
is just one of those catch phrases which is meant to carry a point across,
albeit in an oversimplified way.

> Who/what would that be doing the dividing? Are they/that/it …
> somehow different than the mind? How many "minds" do you suppose we
> have?
>
> Attention focuses upon it object. Whether course, subtle or causative,
> the object is the point of relationship between the observer and
> observed in the flow of attention. That object can be sensorial (a glass
> of water) or mental (a thought or emotion). If there is no object to
> observe during the flow of attention then attention suspends itself and
> perception reverts to latency. "Absence" of mental activity can
> then becomes the "object" of attention. If all forms of
> attention are suspended then we go into deep sleep.

Exactly!

> The point of using a mantra (without a meaning) is to give attention
> just enough of a perceptual object to be alert yet indefinite enough in
> quality to function and maintain an undirected activity. This
> undirected, non-discriminatory (i.e. non-intellective) and purely
> perceptual process is what allows attention to experience the mantra in
> a less concrete manner. The mantra is a mere sound-form (a cognitive
> reference) of vibratory value (combined musical value and specific human
> verbal sound).

Very good describtion.

> Japa is a process to maintain continuity of the surface level of mental
> perception with the sound-form of a mantra. Japa can also arouse
> attention to the "referent" of the mantra just like formal
> meditation.

Right.