> With regard to the Subject line, and to General
> Electric's part in this tragedy, two references:
>
> 35 years ago, General Electric scientist Dale G.
> Bridenbaugh and two of his colleagues resigned
> from their jobs in protest over what they considered
> the fatally flawed design of the Mark 1 reactors and
> their cooling systems. This attempt at whistleblowing
> made no impression either on General Electric (manu-
> facturer of the highly-profitable plants) or the
> Japanese government:
> http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/fukushima-mark-nuclear-reactor-design-caused-ge-scientist/story?id=13141287

I'm no fan of GE, but you left out an important part of the
story:

"Bridenbaugh told ABC News that he believes the design flaws
that prompted his resignation from GE were eventually
addressed at the Fukushima Daiichi plant. Bridenbaugh said
GE agreed to a series of retrofits at Mark 1 reactors around
the globe. He compared the retooling to the bolstering of
highway bridges in California to better withstand earthquakes.

"'Like with seismic refitting, they went back and re-analyzed
the loads the structures might receive and beefed up the
ability of the containment to handle greater loads,' he said.

"When asked if that was sufficient, he paused. 'What I would
say is, the Mark 1 is still a little more susceptible to an
accident that would result in a loss of containment.'"

At this point, we simply don't know whether there has been
a loss of containment at the Fukushima Diachi reactors, at
least of the crucial primary containment structures, the
reactor vessels themselves. Even if there's a full-scale
meltdown, the vessels may be able to contain it. But
nobody knows.

The plant-design failure that led to the current emergency
was locating the diesel backup generators where they were
vulnerable to the tsunami. They were placed behind a
seawall that turned out not to be high enough, resulting
in a "station blackout," the lack of a power supply to pump
coolant into the reactors. As far as we know, the earthquake
itself didn't damage the plant; the inability to keep the
reactors (and the spent-fuel pools) cool is what has
caused the damage.