--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "curtisdeltablues" <curtisdeltablues@...>
wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Buck" <dhamiltony2k5@>
> >
> > could you let your own (limited) epistemology
>
> I don't believe it is anymore limited than anyone elses.
> Maybe less so so than some.

I'm going to riff on this post by Curtis for a while
because I think it pinpoints some interesting issues.
The first is the distinction between a person who
sees himself as being on an equal footing with others
around him, as opposed to one who clearly sees himself
as being on a "higher" hierarchical plane.

> > Would there be a time to cowboy up yourself if you'd
> > be open to it (?).
>
> To what exactly?  I don't feel a lack of anything in my
> life that another person could provide outside my own
> loved ones and friends.  I have great health and my mind
> does everything I want.  Spirtitual programs try to solve
> problems I don't have.  I am not a part of the "peaceless
> and suffering humanity" that Maharishi condescended to.

Hear, hear. I completely identify with Curtis's self
description here. I feel the same way. WHY ON EARTH
should I be interested in what others feel are "higher"
or "better" experiences in life *if I don't see them
as being either higher or better*? THEY think hier-
archically, and see being a "spiritual follower" as
somehow "better" than being a loner. THEY are seeking
things that they've been *told* are "higher" or "better"
than just being healthy, having a well-functioning mind,
and having friends. THEY don't feel content with those
things, and constantly have to seek for "more." And at
the same time, curiously, THEY seem to believe that the
fact that they DO need this "more" that they quest after
and follow endless spiritual teachers to attain *makes
them BETTER* than the people who are content with their
lives. Go figure.

> > May be even leave your personal epistemologic strictures
> > to experience more differently? On the recommendation,
> > of a friend?

First of all, no one who ever suggests to me that I have
to change my beliefs or lifestyle to become more like
them is my "friend." I suspect Curtis feels the same way.

> I'm not sure anyone is in a position to know how differently
> my experience is now. You seem to be coming from an assumption
> that I am not already something or need some other experience
> without knowing what I have had or have now.

*Whatever* you have not, it's not "enough." You have to
be in "always seeking more" mode to qualify for accept-
ance in Buck's world. And you have to be willing to PAY
for that "more." He is as disdainful of those who have
found their own "don't need no teacher to find my Way"
path as he is of those who profess to have no path.

Again, IMO it's a result of buying into decades of
hierarchical thinking.

Why do people believe that "witnessing" is a "higher"
experience than not witnessing? If they had just exper-
ienced witnessing without having been pre-programmed to
see it as "something good happening," would they have
assumed this? I think not. I think they would have
interpreted witnessing as Just One More Experience,
neither "higher" nor "lower" than any other. The "higher"
and "lower" thang comes from *what they have been told*
by someone selling eternal seeking as a lifestyle, and
one that you have to PAY for.