On Apr 14, 2011, at 1:05 AM, sparaig wrote:

Okay, nice clear explanation, although one that I don't think would
matter to 99 out of 100 people.  But a real distinction nonetheless.
Yea, I think "discursive" is a nice word for it.

Except introducing the mantra is to happen after 30 seconds IF the mantra doesn't appear on its own, spontaneously. Sheesh. Get checked, folks. Pay attention this time.

Exactly. IOW, it's a subtle but important distinction for TMers who know how to meditate properly. It's an important distinction because you realize that there are some people who will simply never have the mantra appear on it's own! Others will have intention to sit, close the eyes and pick the mantra up a very subtle, abstract level right off and fall in the groove. If they've repeated it enough, that groove will become automatic, spontaneous, sahaja.