--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "curtisdeltablues" <curtisdeltablues@...>
wrote:

> This seems like it might turn into an interesting discussion
> of values.

Not sure "values" is the appropriate term.

> Personally I don't buy the Buddha line at all.

Or rather, you don't buy what you understand the
"Buddha line" to be.

> It goes on that even when we have pleasure it doesn't last
> forever so it becomes suffering later.  I find this a
> juvenile approach to life's ups and downs.

And some might find the above a juvenile approach to
Buddha's teaching.

> It isn't that life IS suffering.  It can be, but the mix
> often helps direct us. (not always)  I was moved by a
> show about a little girl who literally felt no pain so
> she was constantly destroying her body.  It was very sad
> but shows how much value we get out of some of our pains.

<facepalm>

> I also want to throw in Maharishi's premise that we are
> all ignorant members of the "peaceless and suffering
> humanity."  I find it both condescending and lacking in
> merit.  It is a filter, and for me, a bad one.  I see
> plenty of joy in the people I meet.  Sometimes,
> considering their circumstances, amazingly so.

If you had told MMY this, do you think he would have
responded, "No, no, no, you're wrong, they're all
suffering and peaceless"?

> It is a basic premise of spiritual systems that our lives
> are a problem that needs fixing.  It is the ultimate
> self-help book rack assumptive premise that we all need
> more of something and less of something else.

And you're sure that the books on the self-help rack
accurately reflect the premises of all spiritual
systems?

How about "200 percent of life"? Is that about more
of this and less of that?

> And although I do try to improve my life every day, I am
> not starting with an assumption that my relationship
> with the objects of perception is all wrong.

Did somebody say they were?

> I think this is the kind of rap that works for people
> who are unhappy or young people that lack self confidence.
> (me at age 16)

And for nobody else, right?

> It also smacks of a glorification of dissociation which
> is a psychological disorder

Not according to DSM-IV.

>, not some higher state.
>
> It also lacks some of the wisdom I have stumbled across
> in my own life.

After how many years of meditating?

> The most relevant thing for me is the revelation that
> focusing outward on skill acquisition has done more for
> my sense of self value than looking inward.

Lawson made the excellent point the other day that TM,
at least, has value only for what it brings to looking
outward.

<snip the rest out of boredom>