--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "curtisdeltablues" <curtisdeltablues@...>
wrote:

> I appreciate the detailed response and validation.  From
> Joe too.  I do enjoy reviewing ideas here in fresh way
> without the assumptions contained in spiritual systems.

It's almost like a free speech zone. Almost. :-)

> Especially the one that claims that we are not in a state
> to be able to evaluate statements for ourselves.  If you
> reject the assumptive condescension that they are coming
> from some higher place, then they get evaluated the way
> we do anyone else's claims.  And under that gaze they
> sound like the guy on metro who wants to convince me that
> I am not saved but he is and if I would just believe as
> he does...yada yada yada!  Let me make up a problem for
> you that only I can solve.

Or that only Jesus can solve. Or Allah. Or Maharishi.

> Content free marketing.  Sure saves on the warehouse space!

I honestly hadn't ever thought about it that way. "Content
free marketing" is a good phrase. It kinda nails it. The
entire pitch can be rendered down to "We know and you don't."

Me, I don't know. I realized while walking my dogs just now
that I've been on a spiritual path for over 50 years. Some-
thing in me "woke up" and pointed in that general direction
when I hit Morocco at age 14, and it hasn't let up since.
In that time I've studied with spiritual teachers and I've
never really seen any indication that they "know." They
believe, same as I do.

That covers my approach to Patanjali, too. Having stepped
back from the "Spiritual teachers really DO know and we
don't" perspective, I see him as a pretty odd duck. One way
of viewing Patanjali is as a guy who was never any good
at the normal skills of human interaction. I don't think
that the guy ever scored in high school. It's possible that
he never scored, period. So he becomes a monk. But even in
the monastery he's lacking in the ordinary skills of human
interaction, so he focuses instead on the extraordinary
ones. He may not be able to have a conversation with one
of his fellow monks because it's painful, but he can fly
and turn invisible. That'll teach 'em.

:-)