--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "curtisdeltablues" <curtisdeltablues@...>
wrote:

> This seems like it might turn into an interesting discussion of
> values.

That's how I saw it. What, after all, are the *techniques*
espoused by a person who considers *all* experiences painful
likely to *result in* -- someone who enjoys life and its joys,
or someone who rejects them?

> Personally I don't buy the Buddha line at all. It goes on
> that even when we have pleasure it doesn't last forever so
> it becomes suffering later. I find this a juvenile approach
> to life's ups and downs.

I find it a *recluse* perspective on life.

> It isn't that life IS suffering. It can be, but the mix
> often helps direct us. (not always)

Exactly. What you focus on you become. Patanjali focuses
*on the negative*, and thus sees *all* experience as some-
thing to be considered painful. Seems like a waste of a
lifetime to me.

> I was moved by a show about a little girl who literally
> felt no pain so she was constantly destroying her body.
> It was very sad but shows how much value we get out of
> some of our pains.
>
> I also want to throw in Maharishi's premise that we are
> all ignorant members of the "peaceless and suffering
> humanity." I find it both condescending and lacking in
> merit.

But mainly condescending, as was the Patanjali line.
The people who are enjoying their lives are "acting
from the fruits of IGNORANCE."

> It is a filter, and for me, a bad one. I see plenty of
> joy in the people I meet. Sometimes, considering their
> circumstances, amazingly so.

I knew you'd get this Curtis. I also knew that some
others would react purely to the fact that I was
dismissing something they consider "scripture."
Scripture schmipture...if it doesn't make any sense
to me, I dismiss it. :-)

> It is a basic premise of spiritual systems that our
> lives are a problem that needs fixing. It is the
> ultimate self-help book rack assumptive premise that
> we all need more of something and less of something
> else.

*Exactly* why I have rejected all such paths these
days. If they believe that I need to be "fixed," I'm
just not interested. Let them go "fix" their dogs. :-)

> And although I do try to improve my life every day, I
> am not starting with an assumption that my relationship
> with the objects of perception is all wrong. I think
> this is the kind of rap that works for people who are
> unhappy or young people that lack self confidence. (me
> at age 16)

Exactly. What is sad is that so many buy into spiritual
traditions *during* this period, but are then never
allowed to outgrow such assumptions as they gain more
experience in the world. They are expected by the
spiritual tradition to *stay* unhappy and to *stay*
lacking in self confidence forever, and thus to *stay*
in need of the tradition's "services."

> It also smacks of a glorification of dissociation which
> is a psychological disorder, not some higher state.

Bingo. Do you think Patanjali would have been much fun
to hang with? I don't.

> It also lacks some of the wisdom I have stumbled across
> in my own life.  The most relevant thing for me is the
> revelation that focusing outward on skill acquisition
> has done more for my sense of self value than looking
> inward.

Absolutely. One gets external feedback when acquiring
skills. One does not when lost in a subjective haze.

> Rather than teach people that they need to shut their
> eyes I would say open them and focus on attaining
> proficiency in some skill you admire. When you get
> pooped with your efforts you can close you eyes to
> recharge if you feel like it, but don't think that
> closing your eyes is going to bring you fulfillment.

Sounds right to me.

> Our inner "awareness" is so over rated in spiritual
> systems IMO. Some of the most boring people I have ever
> met are the most into their inner lives.

Also some of the most pompous and condescending. How,
after all, can other people ever live up to their
fantasies about themselves. :-)

> Frankly I was the most boring I have ever been when I
> was most into my "inner life". My interactions with
> people are richer now, not because I meditate, it is
> because I focus on learning more about other people
> and other cultures and other ways to see the world.

In my case, my best friend has known me for 20 years
now. She knew me when I was into my "inner phase," and
she knows me now. She definitely prefers the latter.

> This is just a ramble but it is leading in the direction
> of how I feel about spirituality. I don't need to stand
> in line for hours waiting for a stranger to hug me.

Or to beam some shakti at me. :-)

> I have people I love in my life for that.

Bingo. On both counts. :-)

> I don't need to spend hours making my awareness itself grow.
> I need hours focusing my awareness on things that make my
> mind grow.  And on people who make my heart grow.  And on
> exercises that make my muscles grow. And on hotties who
> make my...

My kinda philosophy.

> you get the picture. I am the guy that spiritual books warn
> against. I have more in common with this girl than any yogi:
>
> http://www.maniacworld.com/young-girl-turns-to-the-dark-side.html

Party on, Darth. :-)

Thanks for "catching the wave" and taking this thread in the
spirit in which it was started, Curtis.

I think people who have listened to spiritual propaganda for
many decades tend to *lose track* of exactly what it is they
are buying in to. In the case of the quote that started this
thread, if they revere Patanjali as "wise," they are buying
into a philosophy that teaches that all experiences are
painful. How open to life and to other sentient beings
are people who actually *believe* this going to be?