--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Llundrub" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Having lived in and near NYC for much of my life I found that New
York
> pizzas are by far the best, a lot of real cheese and oil and thick
> slices. It's hard to get get bad pizza in New York.
> I imagine New Orleans must have good pizza as that is such a food
> oriented place.
>
> kh
>

> A couple ok places. Nothing anywhere like Josephina's. They
actually went out of business because their product was too
expensive and they didn't change to suit the times. They made deep
dish that had like five layers of cheese and product. When I was a
kid one slice was enough, then later, two slices was enough. I can
still taste it. The best paprt wasn't just the great flavor but the
really rich, toothsome quality. I swear, I hope they have
Josephina's in heaven. Or hell, whichever comes first.

> Some tips for deep dish pizzas.  Make sure you oil and flour the
pan.  Into the dough on the bottom layer you must press the whole
milk mozzarella. You push in it with your fingertips.  This is
important so that the sauce doesn't soak into the dough.  Then the
sauce - just a thin layer.  It should be a simple Marinara, but it's
important to add a bit of starch to the Marinara so that the water
doesn't all separate out. Then the product and then repeat three
times or more. Finish with some cheese.  Bake it at a medium oven -
325 for an hour.  It takes a while to really render the product in
the middle. If you're using vegetables then cook them first and get
some moisture out before you put them in the pie.

> The pizza shouldn't be more than about an inch and a half or it
won't cook. Make sure the pan has extra room at the lip or the pizza
will fall over the edge when the dough rises. You should use a
regular pizza dough recipe with some egg added. The egg helps
prevent water from steaming the crust and making a dumpling. Best
thing is to use springform pans or I make individual deep dish
pizzas sometimes in nonstick omelette pans and then they just slip
right off onto the plate.

> OK.

Sounds great. Ever considered writing a cookbook? I know theres a
jillion of them out there, but perhaps blending some radical
spiritual musings with it would really catch the eye of a publisher,
or two...