On 06/12/2011 08:40 AM, turquoiseb wrote:
> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "seventhray1"<steve.sundur@...>  wrote:
>> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "WillyTex"<willytex@>  wrote:
>>> seventhray1:
>>> It's got the quality, but the story may be too simple.
>>> But, it's not any more simple than 'Raiders'. Up in
>>> Austin, Harry thinks SUPER 8 is pretty damn super!
>>> Maybe you're too old to appreciate the kids. LoL!
>> Maybe you're right.  I guess you have to approach the
>> movie with more of an "artistic' outlook. To understand,
>> as Harry puts it, how cool this era is. Ignore, ( what
>> I feel) are the lame plot, the tired roles, the
>> predictability, the CG overkill, and instead focus on
>> the nuances of this period. How the producers have
>> created a brilliant film, if you don't mind being bored
>> stiff, and can just appreciate their "artistic brilliance."
>> I just wish there was some way for me to get my $24.00
>> back.
> Excellent review, one that synchronistically catches
> me watching it at home, for free. Pirate. :-)
>
> So far (I'm about halfway through), I agree with your
> (seventhray's) assessment. Especially "the producers
> have created a brilliant film, if you don't mind
> being bored stiff." That nails it.

To clarify, Spielberg produced it and JJ Abrams directed.  I was
disappointed with Abrams "Star Trek" movie.  When it comes to movies
with big budgets you can be sure the accounts and execs at the studios
stick the stupid noses into the productions and make for problems.  This
is why Hollywood is going downhill, accountants have no business making
films.

"The Secret Lives of Others" was a great film but I watched "The
Tourist" on Friday written and directed by the same guy and it was
terrible.  I don't know what went wrong there but it may again be the
director wanting to take the film one way and the studio another (like
stupid homage to the big budget spy films of the 60s).

Spain has been making some great films these days and I cleaned my
palate afterwards by watching "Diary of a Nymphomaniac" which was very
steamy, had lots of flesh and certainly not for amateur brahmacharis but
a well written, directed and produced story.  Of course it wasn't a
popcorn movie either:
http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Diary_of_a_Nymphomaniac/70136065
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1111890/

For a great "popcorn" movie I would recommend "The Troll Hunter" as long
as you don't mind subtitles and trolls.  Since it's moved into theaters
it's available for a reasonable price online and I watched it on Vudu.
It's sort of a mix between "Blair Witch" and "Cloverfield" (also an
Abrams film) but well done and very entertaining.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1740707/