--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Bhairitu <noozguru@...> wrote:

> I think people just go to a movie to be going to a movie
> and many may be saying "boy that sucked" afterward. In the
> 1950's and 60's many went to see some funky sci-fi and
> horror films just to laugh at them but back then a ticket
> averaged around 70 cents.

One of the reasons I am a film freak is that during
a formative period of my life (age 14 to 18) I lived
on US Air Force bases. Each of those bases had a movie
theater, and sometimes more than one. The program
changed continuously, a different film every night.
Tickets cost a quarter.

This cost enabled me to grow up as somewhat of a film
fanatic. If I saw a film at one of the theaters on the
base and I found that I really liked it, my immediate
response -- even then -- was to see it again, to try
to figure out WHY I liked it. And I could. All I had
to do was to go to another of the theaters on the base
and most likely it would be playing there the next
night (the films rotated nightly among the theaters).
And it would cost me all of another quarter.

On one of the bases I lived on in Morocco, one of the
three theaters was of a type that I have never seen
since. It was a walk-in drive-in. Really. There was
no roof, just rows of concrete benches set up facing
a full-sized theater screen, flanked by good theater-
quality speakers. Behind the seats was a projection
booth and the snack bar. You'd take a blanket and
maybe some snacks or drinks of your own and watch a
first-run American movie, above you the amazing
blanket of stars that was the Moroccan sky.

The movie-going experience has been going downhill
for me ever since.  :-)