--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "jyouells2000" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "sparaig" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > >   Seriously though - if he says that all that matters is a building
> > > of
> > > the right type, then 'enlightenment' has a relative cause and the
> > > whole thing falls apart.
> >
> > ??? What do you call meditation? And in MMY's theory, someone COULD
> > become enlightened due to living a relatively stress-free life, even
> > without meditation. Some things are more anti-stress than others.
> > MAK, for instance. Conceivably someone could become enlightened by
> > eating MAK.
>
> Enlightenment is not the result of a causal chain.

Ah, but in the standard TM philosophy, it is.  The presentation
has always been formulaic -- "Do X and Y will happen."  I think
that anyone who has had experiences with enlightenment
"realizing itself, on its own terms and in its own time" has prob-
ably figured out that this isn't really true.  But the formulaic
approach was the key to the initial success of TM and thus
the initial success of the TM movement.

Every new "improvement" has been equally formulaic.  Bounce
on your butt like this and Y will happen.  Take this pill and Y
will happen.  Pay a pundit to chant your name and Y will happen.
Move into a house whose doorways face the right directions
and Y will happen.

One of the reasons that all these "new and improved" formulas
keep getting trotted out is that Y hasn't happened, for all but
a few.  They keep buying each "new, improved release" as it
comes out, like a junkie upgrading Windows every time a new
release is announced, hoping that someday it will actually be
a viable operating system, but it never is.

> The best that can
> be said in words is that we discover what always already is. The Sun
> is always shining and 'we' find that the clouds have blown away.
> Eternal is not a really long time, it's beyond time, beginingless.

And when we finally notice the "sun," we know at the same
moment that nothing we have ever "done" along the Way has
caused it either to shine or to be hidden behind clouds.

> Unbounded is not a really big space, it's beyond space. When awakening
> is talked about, grace and mysteriousness always come into the
> picture. TM does not cause enlightenment, the best that can be said is
> that it uncovers what always is.

That still implies that TM "does" it.  I'd say something more like,
"TM allows us to convince ourselves that we've 'done enough'
so that we relax and stop 'doing' and finally notice that there
was never anything to be done."

> The whole stress explaination isn't
> what we think it is.

Well, I think that the whole "stress explanation" is a crock of
shit, and I'm pretty sure that it isn't *physically* a crock pot full
of dung, so I guess I agree with you.  :-)