--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "jyouells2000" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "authfriend" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "jyouells2000" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > wrote:
> > <snip>
> > > The whole stress explaination isn't what we think it is.
> >
> > Say more?  What is it, then?
>
> Uh-OH! stuck my foot in it didn't I ;-)
>
>   A dualistic explaination to satisfy a mind stuck in duality. Let me
> think about it some. Something is only stressful when it overshadows
> being. How can the ocean be compressed into a drop... it's a circular
> argument it doesn't compute ...

I think it's useful to remember exactly when "stress" appeared
on the TM movement jargon list.  It appeared shortly after Hans
Selye spoke at a SIMS-sponsored symposium and related his
theories (not related to spiritual development at all) about stress.

But it ALSO appeared just after the previously-announced and
publicized "deadline" for enlightenment had been reached.  In
the early days (late 60s), the TM "answer" to the question "How
long will it take me to become enlightened" was first "5 years"
and then later "5 to 7 years."  The stress theory began to appear
in movement jargon shortly after a lot of people had been med-
itating for 5 to 7 years with no sign of enlightenment.

I agree with John's description above about "stress" being a
comforting dualistic explanation for those stuck in duality.  But
I still prefer the term I used in an earlier post today.  "Stress"
is an excuse.