<snip>
> Someday, John, you should really consider doing a
> little reading about spiritual history, so that you
> don't come off as such an ignoramus sometimes.
<snip>
> Buddha was as much a Hindu or a part of the Vedic
> tradition as Jesus was a Jew and part of that trad-
> ition. Both *broke away* from their traditions and
> rejected them, offering something vastly different.

No, Jesus *did not* break away from or reject Judaism,
to the contrary. Sorry, Barry, but you're the ignoramus,
as usual.

Entirely unlike Buddha, who rejected the authority of
the Vedas, Jesus *insisted* on the authority of the
Torah:

"Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the
Prophets [i.e., the Torah]. I did not come to destroy but
to fulfill. For assuredly, I say to you, till heaven and
earth pass away, one jot or one tittle will by no means
pass from the law till all is fulfilled" (Matthew 5.17-18).

Jesus was a reformer. He rejected some then-current
practices and approaches to Judaism because he thought
they departed from the original intentions of the Torah,
which he believed came directly from God and which he
wanted to restore.

> During his
> lifetime the Buddha stated often that he was *not*
> an avatar, of anything or any deity. Part of what
> made his teaching so popular is that he presented
> himself as *not* special, and in fact just like the
> people he was teaching.

No matter what Buddha may have said about himself, a
great many of his own followers have perceived him as a
god to be glorified and worshipped. Which makes it more
than a little unfair for you to dump on Hindus because
they think of him as an avatar of Vishnu.

The notion that Jesus was offering "something entirely
different" from Judaism is, in fact, directly parallel
to the notion of Buddha as a god: Both assume that what
these teachers' followers subsequently made of them was
in accord with the teachers' intentions.