Don't speak for everyone Barry, I'm interested in his enlightenment.
Here's a clue to explain to you why I make fun of you because I DON'T
CARE ABOUT YOUR OPINIONS ON ENLIGHTENMENT, so STFU Barry.
I know you feel threatened when anyone uses the "E" word, but again if
someone is talking about the "E" word
S....T...F....U.

> [...]
in,
> someone like yourself would detect this in the absence of that
> perspective which would give legitimacy and credibility to everything
> say about both what enlightenment is, and what it was like to be
> enlightened.
> >
> > The fact that you are forced to fall back on the a priori assumption
> that, because you believe enlightenment to be a real state of affairs
(I
> believe it to be a real state of experience with consequent definitive
> parameters of behaviour and abilities, but for all that not a state of
> consciousness which is coincident with ultimate reality), and I am
> repudiating the metaphysical validity of enlightenment—claiming I
am
> now de-enlightened,—it must perforce be the case that my
> enlightenment was not the real deal. Because, you see, if it had been
> the real deal, how could I, given your absolute belief in its
> ontological truthfulness, reject this belief, reject the truth of
> enlightenment?
> >
> > You must, because I am denouncing the state of enlightenment (and
> Unity Consciousness) as a form of extraordinary mystical deceit of the
> mind, conclude that: He was not really enlightened, because his ego is
> still intact, and besides, anyone who was REALLY enlightened, would
not
> be able to make themselves unenlightened, nor would they dream of
> rejecting this state of consciousness as being false to reality.
> >
> > Given then your fundamental belief that enlightenment has to be
true,
> you have no other choice but to write as you have written above,
> because, for you, it is never going to be a question of determining
> whether or not enlightenment corresponds to reality (whether it indeed
> is a true state of affairs for a human being and objectively and
> truthfully represents reality as it really is). For you enlightenment
> HAS TO BE TRUE. To question its intrinsic validity as a metaphysically
> bona fide state of human experience and functioning is tantamount to
> denying what essentially constitutes your highest vision of what life
is
> all about. To deprive you of this belief is the functional equivalent
of
> forcing you to give up your belief in God. For you, then, Rick,
> enlightenment (the belief in this reality) is as unquestioned and
solid
> and irrefutable as someone else's belief that Christ was God. It is
your
> religion. Why so? Because you cannot conceive, given your experiences
> and observations and history, of ever bringing it (the idea of
> enlightenment) before a tribunal of critical judgment where—like
the
> existence of God—it would be subject to real debate and argument.
As
> [...]
> thousand different ways—in every moment of my life when I lived
> under that state of consciousness.
> >
> > No, for me, Rick, it is you who give yourself away, because you
> evidently cannot countenance the idea that enlightenment just might be
> what I say it is. But you are unwilling or unable to subject
> enlightenment to a true acid test. You have no surefire way of knowing
> whether enlightenment exists as a true and objectively valid state of
> consciousness. What is your proof that this state of consciousness
> exists such that you know it is the perfect representation of what
> reality is?
> >
> > By your reading of books on the subject? by your interviews with
these
> guests who purportedly have entered into a state of realization? by
your
> experience with Maharishi?
> >
> > Where does this absolute and unshakeable belief originate?
> >
> > I suggest it has been absorbed into your being through your TM and
> Maharishi experience just like Mother's Milk. It has taken up
residence
> inside of you in a way that utterly forbids any re-examination of it
> along the lines that I am pursuing in these posts.
> >
> > Sure, Rick, I could be dead wrong; you could be dead right. However
> THERE IS NO INSPIRATION BEHIND THIS POST which would testify to the
fact
> that in writing to me as you have you are standing in for reality, for
> the truth of enlightenment. If such a state of affairs exists (I
believe
> it exists) and it is an intrinsic good (I don't believe enlightenment
is
> this) then it seem ironic that, in your forceful defence of its truth
> claims you are unable to summon up anything other than an abstract
> argument—there is no passion, no irresistible logic, no purchase
> upon reality itself IN THE ACT OF DOING THIS. You are in the same
> position as the person who, when faced with the atheist's arguments,
> just resorts to: "Look I know that God exists. Therefore your
experience
> that He does not exist is false."
> >
> > I don't even sense the beauty of your faith in this truth, Rick. It
is
> almost a matter of the quotidian in your life: it is just is
commonplace
> knowledge.
> >
> > I believe in non-enlightenment—or rather in the mystical
falseness
> of enlightenment—with a conviction that is so comprehensive and
> clearly reasoned (and empirically inspired) that I feel I am making a
> transaction with reality in a deeper way than you making a transaction
> with reality in dismissing my claim to know what the classic form of
> enlightenment is.
> >
> > The only way you will come to know what enlightenment really is is
> participate in a thought experiment: assume IT IS NOT REAL, IT DOES
NOT