This entire thread has pointed up for me the
damned-if-you-do, damned-if-you-don't nature
of spiritual teaching.

A teacher who won't accept the overshadowing of
a person in ignorance will be accused of insensitivity.
The teacher who shows too much compassion -- or
perhaps compassion of the wrong type -- is accused
of enabling the student's ignorance.

A related thought: a friend studying with Course in
Miracles teacher Robert Perry sent me a lesson recently
in which Perry discussed the ways that empathy, normally
an admirable trait, can be used to reinforce the ego and
attack a person. So there's healthy empathy, which
contributes to the Course's "holy instant," and there's
dysfunctional empathy, which reinforces suffering.

So it's another caveat for the student of spiritual growth:
is this teacher's seeming insensitivity really just tough
love? Or is that teacher's compassion reinforcing the story
I use to hide from my true nature as a liberated being?

My post sheds no light; I write this merely to give voice to
what the thread has elicited in me, and to acknowledge the
contributions of other thread participants. Thanks, all.

 - Patrick Gillam