"Amma has advised us to chant "Om" before and after meditation because this
helps to "fence" and hold the energy that is created during meditation.  It is
like putting walls up on both side of a river.  When the river grows due to
heavy rainfall, its waters will be contained and channeled instead of spreading
across the land and leaking away."