> Today I found myself remembering something Vaj said -- that one of the
> reasons mindfulness is making inroads into PC-sensitive environments
> such as publicly-funded schools, in which other techniques such as TM
> might encounter difficulties, is that mindfulness can be completely
> secularized. It can be divorced from its origins in a tradition that
can
> be seen as religious and presented without any of its original
trappings
> in Buddhism. You don't even need a Buddhist to teach it; any layman or
> teacher or therapist can learn its principles and teach them to
others.
> It's the spiritual equivalent of open source software.
>
> In comparison, TM is very much proprietary source software. It cannot
> really ever be completely divorced from its origins in Hindu (or, if
you
> prefer, Vedic) trappings. To teach it, a person has to not only be
> specially trained by the organization that holds the copyrights
> (literally) to the source code of its tradition, he or she has to
> perform rituals that can easily be construed as religious, prior to
> imparting mantras that can just as easily be construed as being the
> names of gods and goddesses. You can argue that this isn't true all
you
> want, but I suspect that even the arguers will admit that there is a
> strong case to be made for a 1-to-1 link being present between TM and
an
> established religious tradition.
>
> That creates problems in some environments. The dedicated people in
> those environments -- teachers, therapists, health care professionals
> and even law enforcement or prison officials -- are DYING for
techniques
> that would help the people they're dedicated to helping. But many of
> these people are also very Politically Correct savvy, and realize that
> if they introduce a technique or set of techniques into their
> environment that is PC-controversial, the controversy is pretty much
> guaranteed to hit the fan. That's just the nature of the times we live
> in.
>
> All of this thinking about Vaj's mention of this idea of a secularized
> spiritual practice got me to thinking up questions, which I pass along
> to Vaj or to anyone else here:
>
> "What would a completely secularized set of meditation and
> self-development techniques LOOK LIKE? If you were to design one or
> speculate about one, what would it involve and not involve?"

As a friend of mine said to me, some 40 years ago he encountered Werner
Erhard (est), whose first words in that self-development seminar were
something like 'you are all a bunch of goddamn assholes'. Whoops, the
word 'god' was mentioned, and damnation too.

Maharishi never was able to completely disassociate the Hindu elements
of TM. It could be done, but then no one would own it.

> "Which elements from traditional spiritual practices would you
preserve,

> and which would you not?"

The main problem is how do you 'advertise' the practice without the
metaphysical claptrap, which is one of the traditional hooks.

  > "If the meditation practices you suggest use mantras, where would
they

> come from?"

No one has really experimented thoroughly with finding out if mantras
really have any special qualities. Dr Herbert Benson, in creating the TM
knockoff, the Relaxation Response did do something like this, but how
well documented were the results I am ignorant of. There are so many
mantras, and the feeling I get is they may be less specific in their
effects than claimed by spiritual adherents. From a research
perspective, it would be a good guess to start testing mantras comparing
shorter ones to longer ones. Some would feel such a process would be
unethical, for supposing it is true that some mantras could create
disastrous effects in some people, you know, resulting in their jumping
off buildings or walking in front of trains, or murdering others. This
is a factor that might plague any system.

Maharishi's masterpiece, the checking notes, could probably be
rewritten, but even then lawsuits might follow. I feel that this piece
of work is really the heart of why TM has been successful. But these
instructions were created and evolved by Maharishi, we are not certain
just how much come from 'tradition'. Early on meditators have told me
the wording was quite different and more religiously oriented in the
beginning.

http://www.relaxationresponse.org/

http://www.relaxationresponse.org/steps/  [at the bottom of this page is
a picture of the study he, as second author, did with RK Wallace in
1971]

> "If the  meditation practices don't involve mantras, what would they
be?
> For example, some techniques rely on visualization, either inwardly or
> with the eyes open, on certain designs (yantras, mandalas) or
> individuals (gods, goddesses, saints). Would you use these same
objects
> of focus, or others? If others, what would they be?"

I think mindfulness meditation would be the best shot at a mantra-less
meditation system. Systems that involve eyes open, or visualising result
in more mental stimulation.

> "How would you make this technique or set of techniques attractive to
> people who could benefit from them without relying on the appeal to
> 'lineage' or 'tradition?'"
>
> "Do you feel that such a secularized spiritual practice would be a
Good
> Thing or a Bad Thing? Would one approach be inherently "better" or
"more

> effective" and the other...uh..."less?" And if so, WHY?"

If a spiritual practice is completely secularised it would neither be
good or bad, but the absence of a metaphysical component might be a
stumbling block for some. 'BAT or boundary attenuation technology: Your
brain is malfuctioning. It is focused on small things, you need to widen
its focus using BAT. When you apply BAT to your brain, it will soften
and create more neurological flexibility in your grey matter, and in
fact create more grey matter and restructure its signal processing
capacity so that you will eventually feel completely integrated with
your environment and live a life of maximum fulfilment. Free case of
Barry's favorite beer if you learn this week.'

Effectiveness could only be determined by large scale, well controlled
comparitive studies.

> I have no easy answers. If you do, fire away. I am interested both as
> "spiritual sociologist" and as a fan of science fiction. Writers in
the
> SF genre have speculated about secularized spirituality for decades.
> Heck, one SF author even went out and created his own version of one,
> and has gazillions of followers. But in the process he copped out and
> called it a religion. What would you come up with if you were trying
> do the opposite?

This probably would depend on how resistant one is to adulation. If you
create something that makes people more fulfilled, this problem might
develop.

Science fiction might be a source of ideas. 2001: A Space Odyssey (the
novel) had a Darwinian evolutionary theme. In the Kubrick motion
picture, created with Clarke at the same time, and which is very visual,
leaving out a lot of the back story and other details, the story has a
strong metaphysical feeling to it even though it was not intended to be
so. What is the relationship between the individual and the universe at
large? It might be difficult to present this without getting gushy and
compromising science and objectivity.