Barry,

I enjoyed this as well as your piece on taking criticism of a guru as criticism
of a person personally.

The only piece I have to add is that path for me implies teleology. A path has
a place it goes that is at the end of the path and could be called the goal of
the path.  My life doesn't look like that since I stepped "off the path."

I prefer the model set up for martial artists which is that of a Bushido code
of conduct, principles to guide your life.  Although unlike the martial
artists, mine are selected by me and not the badass head of the dojo.

It ends up that these organizing principles do guide my life in the direction
of better. (again self-defined but so obvious that they are not really up for
dispute)  But since my life's "path" leads to disability (hopefully short) and
death (hopefully merciful) that model doesn't seem too useful for me now.  I am
just wandering, guided by my own principles.  I have plenty of short term goals
that I pursue, but a life without the guiding principle of teleology hanging
over my head like the sward of Damocles (Totally pretentious reference I know,
but what a F'ing image!) seems to suit me.

I am not on the Yellow brick road, but am romping in the poppies but not, you
know as a "friend of Dorthy" (not that there is anything wrong with it).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RG2keYgBiZc

(Please note that the solution for the poppy induced sleep is "snow" which
provides us with the perfect metaphorical reference to the speed-ball that
ended up in John Belushi's arm on the last night of his...path I guess.