On 08/18/2011 09:45 AM, turquoiseb wrote:
> At this point, when I hear that Woody Allen has a new movie out, my
> first impulse is *not* to run out and see it. If anything, after "You
> Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger," it's the opposite. But when I heard
> that this one was set in and filmed in Paris, I could not help but hope.
> That hope was fulfilled.

It's been out for a while here in the states but here only at the local
art barn.  I call it a barn because it really needs remodeling which the
Cinemark would like to do apparently but landlord won't participate.
The only screen I like to go to there is the one in the dome which has
stadium seating.  The nearby digital cinema use to show Allen's films
but they are sticking to mostly pop shit these days.

But I do see "The Conspirator" on Bluray is arriving tomrrow from
Netflix.  BTW, I have run across at least one (legal) streaming service
in Europe.   Probably the big reason Europe doesn't have a Netflix is
because not all the countries have signed the copyright treaties and I
don't blame them for that.  The DMCA rules are draconian and copyrights
need to go back to 17 years lifespan with one renewal.   Some think that
3 years and one renewal is enough.  There is rarely anything new under
the sun anyway.

Next Tuesday I have "Road To Nowhere" at the top of my queue because it
was shot with a digital SLR camera.  And it is shipping on Bluray so I
can evaluate the picture quality but so far what DSLR films I've seen
have been stunning.  And DSLRs are cheaper than camcorders and you can
use the vast array of lenses and accessories for them.  There is also a
free hack that allows filmmakers to outfit them with external LCD
monitors better sound etc.  Here's the trailer for "Road To Nowhere"
which because the story involves a movie being made includes some shots
of these DSLR setups (especially at the end):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mo9jHiGBoP0

And speaking of cameras last night I watched "Cameraman: The Life and
Work of Jack Cardiff."  It is a facisnating study of a cinematographer
who spent his whole life making films many of which folks here would
have seen.  Wow, some of those Technicolor cameras were huge.

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Cameraman_The_Life_and_Work_of_Jack_Cardiff/70140528