Your analysis is well reasoned.  Since I like TM, the more sense you made, the
more I wondered why the movement isn't operating this way?  I had a spark of
inspiration when you said that "Once people experience it, they're hooked."  As
I have discussed previously, I conducted one of the movements largest scale
efforts to contact all meditators who had been initiated in DC, around 15,000
if I remember correctly.  What is easier to remember is that the results were
dismal for people keeping it up and willing to come back for a free checking.
I'll bet the sidhis are a hard sell these days.  I wonder what those numbers
are?

So the price thing may reflect that the movement wants people who either are
already fully bought in to the beliefs somehow, or rich enough to not care
about price, who might donate while their enthusiasm lasts.

I think what you have uncovered is that there is a market for what you are
proposing.  I wonder how many old school teachers would give it a shot on their
own the way those "Vedic" meditation teachers already have.

I would not be able to endorse the way TM is taught with the beliefs package
that I no longer buy.  And I am very conflicted about the puja, which is one of
the most beautiful aspects of teaching, despite its content being on the level
of "Oh Poseidon protect us from these waves."  I guess I am so detached from
religious meaning these days I see the puja as a beautiful folk song and might
include it.  I might skip bowing down reverently at the end, that would be a
bit much for me.  In fact the whole big Guru Dev picture might not work for me
either now that I consider his package of beliefs.  I might be able to do a
puja to that big Holy Tradition picture with the naked flasher Shukadeva.
(Yup, I didn't make that up, the guy did not wear cloths in public.)  That
would defuse the whole devotion thing over the whole motley crew a bit and make
it more palatable.  Shankara was such a misogynistic douche,I hate to give him
so much credit.  And maybe the whole fantasy of God himself at the top passing
this knowledge down through all those semi-divine and human beings (Was it
Vyasa who gave us the caste system?  Might be pretty hard to toss some flowers
to his pre-Nazi ass! "Now you were born in this family so you are going to
clean the toilets all your life. Oh yeah and your sister is a temple whore
now.") might be hard to do in good conscience.

Damn, I guess with what we know now the whole thing was just another TM
marketing scam wasn't it?  A fabrication of Maharishi's devious mind. He is the
one I should be addressing the puja to, this was his baby.  But doing the puja
does indorse the bullshit myth of TM's origins....mmmm....thus the conflict.
Singing puja is fun.  Try it in the back of the next cab driven by an Indian!
(Do it in low traffic.)  I always get a big positive reaction.

I don't have an answer here.  I guess I am inclined to chuck it and just
attribute it to Maharishi guru of the Beatles.  Till he wasn't.

So back to how someone could teach TM in the nice format Maharishi taught us
without passing on too much of the bullshit that it is embedded in?  I guess
those guys who teach versions of the "Vedic" meditations have found their own
compass on this.  As such a non-believer, it would require some more surgery
for me to find a way.  I really like Maharishi's checking procedure which
includes the instruction procedure.  That was the best thing he created IMO.
It works very well and doesn't have too much BS content transference.( I mean
it specifically says we SHOULDN'T make a big deal about the DRAINING effect of
animals.  We really shouldn't.  (Damn my cat just shot me a look, I think he
knows something!)

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "seekliberation" <seekliberation@...>