--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Ravi Yogi" <raviyogi@...> wrote:

> Curtis,
> I have to say, you in this response are a poor caricature of your image
> you try to portray here on FFL.

I am not portraying any image, we were discussing a topic of interest.  This is
the beginning of your ad hominem slide.

I used the example of the life in a
> housing project to illustrate on how the social changes are just
> superficial and how they result in merely new rules and new games.

And I was showing that this example was shortsighted in a discussion about the
achievements of MLK. It also was a classically stereotypical caricature of
black society.  You amend this view below and I believe you vastly improve the
impression you give of your understanding of the poor part of black society.

If
> not for the fact that I have been living in this country for 20 years
> and am speaking to an American audience I would have very well used
> examples from India. I have as much disgust for hypocritical repressed
> values of India and I have never hesitated in articulating them. I still
> have my emails from last year when I blasted the traditional
> conservative values of Indian men.

Alright, but that was not our topic was it?

> I hate to have to disappoint you in your weird fantasies and twisting of> my
> words into portraying me as being a judgmental person.>

Let me stop you there.  I don't have weird fantasies about you, I was reacting
to the actual words you chose to write.  I disagreed with them. You are a
highly judgmental person Ravi, as am I.  Are you concerned that I am thinking
of you as a prejudiced person?  No.  I thought you were expressing naive
opinions about a culture you didn't have much exposure to.  I was wrong about
that.  But I still disagree with your reduction of black society into ghetto
criminal life in a discussion of the achievements of MLK.

< I totally love
> white and black people or any other race. But I'm definitely partial in
> my love for the black people. I have had an excellent time with blacks,
> my professor and the secretary at the reading department of the black
> school I attended. I used to be touched by the genuine love and
> compassion that these church going people showed. I loved black gospel
> music, enjoyed rap music, I just loved the heart centered-ness of the
> black people even when I used to be occasionally cursed while working in
> the housing projects. I found them to be very authentic. Even at the age
> of 22 I recall enjoying stimulating conversation with the older blacks
> at the housing projecting, the ones who probably watched the likes of
> MLK in person. I certainly saw many who were lucky and/or could see this
> game and successfully transitioned out of the projects.

Then you should be more sensitive to writing off the achievement of MLK by
using the criminal element in poor societies as somehow meaning he achieved
nothing.  His achievement was not only for black culture.  It liberated white
culture from such overtly un-American race relations.  It was not meant to
solve all the problems of personal prejudice, it was meant to provide legal
remedies for the inequality.  And by integrating schools and workplaces,
"mixing the races" (hated by racists), the newer generation has far less
prejudice, so it worked in that way too.

> So take your projected bullshit elsewhere. Judy is spot on in her
> assessment, you can't come to grips with your shadow and it is painful
> to watch Mr. Wonderful turn into Mr. Hideous. Or what I state
> differently, a pain projecting liberal with childish vengeful fantasies
> now projected into some grand social utopian ideal and worship of pseudo>
> spiritual icons.

And shifting the discussion to what a bad guy I am personally is not gunna work
any better for you.  I am not advocating worship of MLK, I was challenging your
dismissal in favor of a more balanced appreciation.  Your little list of
pseudo-spiritual icons has nothing to do with me.  You might be overusing the
term "projection" for a reason.

> May be you are going through a hard time since the recent earthquake,
> may be it has shaken more than the earth for you, if so I hope you soon> get
> a grip and get over it.

Your parting shot ad hominem isn't gunna fly Ravi. I wrote what I did, based on
the content of your post, because I sincerely believe it was short-sighted and
disrespectful.