I only have one thing to say, Curtis: you are more impressive as a person than
any of the theories of consciousness and the brain you are most inclined [at
this time] to embrace. Those theories seem to fit for the scientists and
philosophers who have developed them (Churchlands, Dennett, Shermer), and in
believing in these theories (reducing everything to the physical as the
explanation for the your mind, your free will, your personality, your
experience of yourself right now) these materialists begin to behave somewhere
such as to indicate that indeed what you believe in can influence your own way
of seeing and experiencing the world—Exception: Christopher Hitchens. He is the
only atheist (other than yourself) out there who transcends always the point of
view he has about God and religious experience. (And he was right, as a
leftist, on Iraq.)

Richard Dawkins, however brilliantly he writes as a scientist (about biology
and evolution), is—I have studied him closely—bigoted, narrow-minded, and even
insincere in the way he treats believers—even if he maintains a veneer of
politeness. He is angry that people continue to believe in God; and he refuses
to conceive of how it is possible for an intelligent person (just as
intelligent as he is) to believe in the existence of God. He will not
experimentally open his mind to the reality of *what is happening* in the give
and take of a debate or conversation between himself and a believer. He is
fiercely and unfairly dogmatic—and, if my experience can be trusted, this is
generally the case with most atheists and materialists. They may not be aware
of this, but somewhere, because they are fighting reality (in eliminating the
reality of what gave them existence in the first place and what sustains them
in existence—Yes, very orthodox that: Tommy A coming at you again) they have to
compensate for this, and what this results in is a reactive and reflexive
ontological stance vis-a-vis reality. Their atheism, then, becomes in its
denial of ontological reality a form of negative ontology.

However, a lot can be said for entirely eschewing any religious belief
whatsoever, since, according to my own lights, God has no interest in our
believing in him anymore; which means he is no longer supporting, in the way he
arranges the metaphysics of his universe, the belief in himself. To believe in
God, then, has become an arbitrary and conditioned reality, and cannot spring
from genuine inspiration and truth. Therefore—in some way that feels very
significant to me—your own conversion to atheism represents a negative
positive: although it [your present philosophy] is ultimately leaving out the
uncreated and personal consciousness which created you, it nevertheless is a
healthy, truthful context within which to field the a priori Hindu assumptions
which are so prevalent here on FFL. Of course, since God appears at the moment
not to care whether one believes in him or not, your atheism becomes
instrumentally the functional equivalent of truth—and were you not posting at
FFL, I would never have come here.

The only thing that is deficient in your atheism (by "your" atheism, I mean the
atheism that is behind the words and life of CurtisDeltaBlues—that, as you
already know, is a different kind of atheism, because CDB insists on not
allowing that atheism to dogmatically close himself off from any experience,
any insight, any creative contingency—so in this sense, you act as faithfully
and humbly as any good theist) is that it leaves out the truth that: At one
time God *did* indeed exist, and the experience ontologically of existing in
the world before you and I were born, did, up until one chronological point,
ideally required one to know that God exists. That is not, according to my own
original perspective, the case anymore. So, then, Curtis, if you were not an
atheist, you would somewhere be soft in the head, and incapable of objectively
acting—here comes Maharishi—"in the benefit of the truth" of the metaphysics of
the universe in this very moment. Somehow you, personally and intellectually,
embody—beneficently—the truth of the universe at this time—without knowing it.

And I am exploiting this extraordinary truth.

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "curtisdeltablues" <curtisdeltablues@...>