I'll second Vyaas Houston's program.  I bought the whole course and got
about as deep as the different tenses which was more than I needed to
translate slokas.  Then I noticed some difference in Sanskrit
pronunciation and when asking about that there is actually southern and
northern Indian differences in Sanskrit pronunciation.

As for Woodroofe, I have the doctoral thesis that was published about 10
years ago where the author claims he may not have written most of those
books and that the were written by his Indian friend would not have been
published under his own name.

Indian pronunciation of some consonants such as "v" can be difficult for
westerners because they tend to pronounce it between a "v" and "b".  I
even had my teacher write mantras in Devanagari so I could be sure of
the pronunciation.