From: emptybill <emptyb...@yahoo.com>
To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Wednesday, September 7, 2011 7:58 PM
Subject: [FairfieldLife] Re: Origin of bija mantras

When I received the mantras from MMY in 1972 at the Fiuggi course, he gave them
all with long vowels (Hreem rather than Hrim or Hrem). Since I had already read
some of Sir John Woodroofe's books, I listened intensely to make sure I heard
them correctly.

One of the problems with not knowing how to pronounce basic Sanskrit is that
ordinary Westerners often get it wrong, including the spelling.

Some of the lists of supposed TM mantras on the net are so absurd that they
become a real hoot.
……………………………………………………………………………….

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, William Parkinson <ameradian2@...> wrote:

> Not too muchm sadly. I am still learning everything I can about MMY and TM.
> The only other interesting thing I found out that most do not know is that
> according to Donovan, the singer who was there with the Beatles in India (as
> I know you know already), MMY divided up longer mantras to reduce it is basic
> easy bija mantras for Western people, who were not inclined to the religion
> of Hinduism. This makes sense, since every time I see TM mantras they are
> indeed part of larger whole mantras, e.g., Om klim hrim...Sawastri...etc. (as
> claimed in the book, Here Comes the Sun: The Spiritual & Musical Journey of
> George Harrison, pg. 127.)  And also, Frawley claims that the long I in
> shakti mantras designates shakti, but the short I vowel sound is supposed to
> designate Siva or static consciouness. So that makes me wonder why we all use
> the short I vowel sound in MMY versions of the bija mantras (i.e., hrim,
> instead of the normative hreem pronunciation,
 to cite