--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Xenophaneros Anartaxius"
<anartaxius@...> wrote:

> Well Judge Judy has convicted me for being a cop and handing
> out tickets, though I am not sure what the ticket I seem to
> have issued was for.
>
> What is my sentence Judge?

I don't believe I suggested that your taking a cop
role and handing out tickets was a crime. I do the
same thing myself. So does Barry. So do quite a few
others here.

What I *did* suggest was that cops and infractions and
tickets are functions of duality, and that I wasn't
going to accept your authority to hand out tickets
unless you stayed in the perspective of duality to
defend them rather than retreating to the nondual
perspective of enlightenment. Ravi had it on the nose,
referring to another poster who had a habit of
invoking nonduality in discussions that were taking
place from the duality perspective:

"He would start talking about non-dual stuff when
situation in the duality would require us to show
respect for truth, values and morals."

Truth (lower-case "t"), values, and morals may not
ultimately matter in the context of nonduality, but
if that's the case, perhaps the enlightened should
not poke their noses into the doings of duality and
take sides therein. I'm not sure, though, that this
is what enlightenment mandates. It seems to me the
enlightened ought to be able to come down from their
mountains and mix it up with the rest of us on
duality's terms, observing respect for truth, values,
and morals.

Sparaig had a neat comment last night in response to
one of Curtis's posts:

"The point of enlightenment isn't to ignore the
interesting stuff [i.e., duality], but to simply not
lose sight of the simplicity behind the diversity."

(Which should not, IMHO, mean *preaching* the
simplicity in such a way as to diminish the
significance of the diversity.)

> As for the last question you asked here, I simply do not
> think Barry devotes much energy to what he writes.

Not positive what question you're referring to. I think
you may mean my observation that you hadn't commented
on the point I made about him, that "he has enormous
amounts of energy invested in fantasizing about his
critics--not just about their inner lives but about
factual elements of their behaviour and what they've
said."

(Several more examples of this appeared this morning.)

 This
> is what I think. It is an hypothesis, because I have no
> way to measure what he does. But because I think this,
> and that is all there is to it, it is an opinion. It is
> not a fact. Opinions are not knowledge. So why must I
> justify and manufacture an answer for that thought to
> satisfy you?

That's the way Barry handles differences of opinion. I
don't have much respect for it.

I thought it was an interesting issue, whether creating
and maintaining fantasies that become one's reality
takes more energy than just going with reality as it is.
(Again, that's "reality," lower-case, the dualistic
reality of facts-on-the-record, not the "Reality" of
enlightenment.)

Of course you don't have to justify anything if you
choose not to. I agree with you that Barry doesn't
put much thought into what he writes and thus saves
his energy. But his thinking references already-
constructed fantasies, and I have the sense that
constructing and maintaining them is where a lot of
his energy goes.

I also think he spends a great deal of his energy
maintaining his self-image as one who doesn't care
much about anything, including his self-image.

> I probably expend a huge amount of energy compared to him.
> How much do you expend?

Do you feel expending energy is a bad thing? You seem
to be holding Barry up as an example of some ideal.

> You definitely try to check facts, scan old posts for
> inconsistencies. Barry doesn't bother much if what he
> says is correct, and what you say is correct.

That's right. Seems to be OK with you if he just
spews out made-up stuff that demeans other people,
right?

<snip>
> As for the question about why you are here. It was just a
> question: Why are you here?

Well, it came at the end of a paragraph in which you
(correctly) invoked the subjectivity of talk about
enlightenment, as if that was what had raised the
question in your mind. I didn't understand why it would,
and I still don't.

> I came here to discuss enlightenment with others. What was
> your reason, if there was one? Are you still here for the
> same reason?

I came here primarily for news and informed opinions
about the activities of the TM movement. It was just as
MMY was gearing up to prepare the movement for his
eventual demise--the "millionaire's course,"
recertification of teachers, the Rajas, and so on. I
found what he was doing, and the reaction to it, of
considerable interest, and the folks on alt.meditation.transcendental, where
I'd been hanging
out, didn't know much about it.

That's still one of my reasons for being here, to
follow the doings of the TMO. But I found there were a
lot of people who were interesting for other reasons,
who were talking about a wide range of topics,
including but not limited to enlightenment.

I think many of us have gravitated to FFL because most
of the participants share a common background in TM,
sort of like a forum for a college alumni group. We're
as different from each other as the people in a group
that doesn't share a background, but there's something
about that common background that seems to spark more
engaging conversation, not just about TM or just about
enlightenment or even just about spirituality in
general, but about virtually any subject (see Rick's
description of the group on its home page).

> I am still here for the same reason, though I seem to get
> embroiled in other activities that seemingly have little
> to do with deepening knowledge of experience.

Right. If you were looking for a place that was
limited to discussion of deepening knowledge of
experience, I'm not sure FFL is it. You do have a lot
to contribute in that regard, though, as you do on
unrelated topics, so I hope you find enough benefit
in all of it to stick around.

> It's my bedtime. I hope you have a fine day tomorrow. And
> I hope Barry has a fine day tomorrow. I hope Ravi has a
> fine day tomorrow. I hope whynotnow7 has a fine day
> tomorrow, and all the others here have a fine day tomorrow.
> I even hope I have a fine day tomorrow.

Likewise, I'm sure.