--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "at_man_and_brahman"
<at_man_and_brahman@...> wrote:

> Someone has posted a nearly complete video of the 1975
> appearance of Maharishi on Merv Griffin: Grandma Walton,
> Mary Tyler Moore, and Clint Eastwood. View it now before
> it is removed, either by the Movement or by Merv Griffin
> Enterprises.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NF3xm-7j3zk

Fascinating. Overcoming my usual disinterest in any
audio or video of Maharishi, I gave it a look. Because
I was there (I even found myself in audience shots), I
was thinking that it might bring back some nostalgia
for the era, and/or for him. The only thing I wound up
feeling was an overwhelming sense of "WHAT on earth
could I have been THINKING to follow this guy for
so long?"

For me it was like going back and listening to some of
the music of the late 60s. A little of that music still
holds up (like Jimi Hendrix). I listen to the rest and
think "The only thing that explains why I liked this
stuff is that I was stoned."

Similarly, the only thing that explains to me why I
ever thought MMY was in the least interesting is that
I was young and naive and foolish.

It was fun to see Clint again, however. I got to drive
him around during his visit to L.A. to film this show,
and have fond memories of that experience to this day.

Seeing Harold Bloomfield -- at-the-time TM poster boy
who was later arrested for drugging and raping his own
patients -- not so much of a buzz. Guy was a slimeball,
even then; no one I knew who had to interact with him
has any pleasant memories of having had to do so.

Anyway, coming on the heels of watching a similar Beatles
nostalgia piece in the first part of the George Harrison
movie, this clip reveals to me that my sense of nostalgia
is rather selective. Seeing clips of the Beatles does
nothing for me. Same with seeing clips of Maharishi. I
don't really regret having been young and naive and
foolish and spent all that time with him, because I guess
that if I hadn't I wouldn't be who I am today, and I kinda
like who I am today. But on another level, all I can do
is look at the giggling con man and think "What an IDIOT
I was!" I guess on that level -- and that level alone --
I am still learning from him.