I once worked on Wall Street, in firms that looked almost *exactly* like
the one depicted in this movie, and among people who were frighteningly
like the characters in this movie. I was a lowly programmer; they were
traders and mutual fund executives. My job was to try to get information
to them as quickly as humanly possible; their job was to analyze the
information and find ways to make money from it. This film brought back
to me all of the utter soullessness of what it was like to work there.
And that was before the bubble burst.

"Margin Call" is about the 24 hours in which the bubble bursts. It
starts with a scene I witnessed several times, as a team of HR flunkies
are brought in to lay off 80% of the firm's employees. One of them
(played excellently by Stanley Tucci), carrying his boxes of personal
effects to the elevator, in a last fit of trying to do his job well,
hands off a USB key to a junior risk analyst (Zachary Quinto) before he
leaves, urging him to look at it. He does, and realizes that the shit is
not just about to hit the fan; it hit the fan a couple of weeks earlier,
and he is the first to recognize it. He calls his boss, who calls his
boss, who calls his boss, and soon -- in the dead of a New York night --
they're all gathered around a conference table trying to decide what to
do, now that the End Of The World is upon them. Their solution is
*exactly* the one the people I worked with would have come up with --
sell off the company's holdings quickly, before the buyers realize that
what they're being sold is worthless. (This actually happened during the
2008 "crisis" that led to the government bailout of people just like the
ones in this movie.)

Written and directed by J.C. Chandor, whose father was an investment
banker, *every moment* of this film "rings true." I've been there in
those buildings, and worked with those people. This film couldn't have
been more "real" and accurate if they'd taken cameras into the halls of
Lehman Brothers itself and let them roll.

Dream cast: Kevin Spacey (one of his best performances in years), Paul
Bettany, Jeremy Irons (as the CEO whose last name is suspiciously like
the Lehman CEO's real name), Zachary Quinto, Penn Badgley, Simon Baker,
Mary McDonnell, Demi Moore, and Stanley Tucci. Excellent script,
excellent dialogue, and a level of high tension that proves that you
don't have to be a financial wizard to understand the mechanics of
financial wizardry, and the way its wizards (think Saruman and Sauron)
think and behave. It is scarily accurate; I have actually *heard* people
who make 2-3 million dollars a year "explain" how they spent it all the
same way that Paul Bettany does on the rooftop of the building. They had
as little real financial worth as the products they were selling to
their clueless customers. It was scary. Seeing it all again is even
scarier, now that the rest of the world has realized what a house of
cards the whole investment industry is.

One of the most effective scenes sets Simon Baker and Demi Moore, as two
of the highest-ranked and highest-paid executives in the firm, riding in
an elevator at 3:00 am, as their staff scrambles to plan a massive
selloff of all of the company's holdings the next morning. The selloff
all has to happen before 10:15 am, because after that the word will have
hit the street that what is being sold is worthless. They are about to
ruin the lives of tens of thousands of people and bankrupt the firms of
their very customers.

But what are the two executives in the elevator talking about? How to
cover *their* asses, to make sure they still have a place in what's left
of the firm the next day. And they're discussing this while "talking
over" a female janitor who is standing between them in the elevator.
They're discussing their options candidly, as if the fact that she is
there doesn't matter, as if her very *existence* doesn't matter. This
was an effective film moment for me, because that is exactly how their
firm is going to treat its own customers come morning.

I would suggest that seeing this film might overcome any lingering
Capitalist tendencies you might have and inspire you to join the Occupy
Wall Street protests, except that it's more powerful than that. I found
myself looking at this film's remarkably accurate depiction of the
executives I used to ride in elevators with by wanting to beat them to
death with a club, then bring them back to life, and do it again.
Several times. This may sound extreme, but it's more humane and more
compassionate than what they did to their own customers, every day.