Gopi Krisna was one person this happened to and it took him 12 years to
recover.  He wrote a book about it.  Not sure it was the first time he
tried meditation though
http://gopikrishna.us/

The first time I tried meditation, almost 4 years before I learned TM it
happened to me.  However I had been doing yoga asanas for a couple weeks
before I sat down and tried meditation, from a book no less.  The asanas
were taught to me by an Indian woman staying at the house.