--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "sparaig" <LEnglish5@...> wrote:
<snip>
> Even forced laughter is said to have positive effects, according
> to ayurveda.
>
> One of Chopra's exercises from the good ole days was to use
> different syllables to produce specific beneficial effects.
>
> Ha-ha-ha, ho-ho-ho, hee-hee-hee, over and over again for 30
> seconds or a minute (?) or so, was thought to help alleviate
> stomach troubles.
>
> Humming a vocalized "nnnnnnnnnnnn" loudly (as long as you
> didn't hurt your throat) was thought to help alleviate earaches.
>
> Humming a vocalized "mmmmmmm" loudly (as long as you didn't
> hurt your throat) was thought to help alleviate sinus issues.

But these would be purely physical effects, not due to any
mystical resonance woowoo, no? I mean, it's easy to see how
"Ha-ha-ha" etc. would massage the stomach and trigger a
belch to relieve gas, simply because it moves the diaphragm
in and out repeatedly. And "Mmm" and "Nnn" would set up
vibrations throughout the structures of the skull that might
break up phlegm or stimulate fluid to drain from the
eustachian tubes.

> There's an entire tradition that relates every syllable in
> sanskrit to some part of the body in some therapeutic way.
> I don't recall which syllable relates to the knee, but
> apparently tradition holds that there is one.

A percussive sound that impacts the patellar tendon, perhaps?