I've been wondering about this lately, because so many forums I'm a part
of have been invaded by hordes of what I tend to call ( for want of the
proper Sanskrit term :-) attention sluts. You know the type of person
I'm talking about. Insecure, not many real-life friends, and seriously
in need of attention. Any kind of attention will seemingly do. So the
attention sluts tend to post a LOT, eating up bandwidth and
automatically rendering themselves uninteresting to those who don't
gravitate to Chatty Cathy types.

If no one replies or gives them the attention they seek, the attention
sluts tend to practice one or more of three primary strategies. The
first is to talk about themselves, pretty much non-stop, as if telling
everyone how great they are will make these people think they're great.
This tactic tends not to work on spiritual forums, because it's rightly
interpreted as runaway ego, and who wants to talk with a runaway ego?

The second tactic is to praise other posters, or "love bomb" them,
hoping that they too are insecure enough and in need of attention enough
to reply to the flattery. The idea seems to be that if the attention
slut can get a person to focus on them by flattering them, maybe they'll
*keep* focusing on them. In my experience, this tactic only tends to
work on other attention sluts, and tends to result in the formation of
cliques, in which groups of attention sluts chat mainly with each other.

The third tactic, when the above two have failed, is to try to insult or
badger or abuse other people into replying. After all, the only thing
that's important to an attention slut is the *attention*. It doesn't
matter what form that attention takes. Again, this tends to work only on
those who are so ungrounded in their own self as to feel the need to
"defend" that self when it's insulted.

The thing I see lately on multiple forums lately is that attention
slut-itis is rampant, almost epidemic. I blame this on the emergence of
social media like Twitter and Facebook, in which the entire game is
about how much attention you can attract. "How many followers do you
have?"

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/408664_283013468313\
9_1552286745_2594704_2120755496_n.jpg

<https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/408664_28301346831\
39_1552286745_2594704_2120755496_n.jpg>
But if you think about it, aren't compulsive attempts to get other
people to focus their attention on you kinda...uh...un-spiritual in the
first place? On pretty much all of the forums in question, those voices
that are most universally appreciated and held in some regard belong to
people who don't utilize any of the three strategies above. Instead,
they tend to talk only when they have something to say, and reply only
to people who have actually said something interesting. And they stay
out of protracted arguments and generally skip the small shit. Because
it IS, after all, small shit.

Call me crazy, but these folks seem to figured out something valuable
about the nature of chat forums that the oh-so-needy Chatty Cathys
haven't. Maybe they just spend more time in meditation and immersed in
the Self than the attention sluts, and thus have no need to try to pump
up the self by sucking attention from other people. Or maybe they're
just grownups...I don't know. All I know is who I avoid and who I want
to engage in conversation with.