Naturally I don't expect Rick to monitor what goes on here all the time,
but it is after all his site.  So sometimes you have to demonstrate
leadership qualities.  His solution was not very diplomatic, but it was
expedient for him, I guess.  A more diplomatic solution?  Something
along the lines of what you suggest.  Sanctions.  A two week time out.
That is the way sanctions work.  You ratchet up the pressue until you
get the desired behavior and don't resort to the "nuclear" option until
all other avenues have been exhausted.

But Rick will say he's got this going on, and that going on and blah,
blah, blah.  He seems proud to have given Ravi the boot.  I think he
demonstrated a lack of nuance, if that's the right word.

A time out would have  been a better approach, IMO.

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "raunchydog" <raunchydog@...>
wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "seventhray1" steve.sundur@
wrote:

> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, obbajeeba <no_reply@> wrote:
> > Shooting the messenger is what happened to him. Maybe some words are
considered foul, but why not make a rule against using some words?

> > Really, I am sorry to see him go. For me, all I asked was that he
refrain from slander. And I think he got the point. But the place is
nothing without insults. And short of slander why not get challenged to
the core? He was good at that. Not that his challenges were particularly
challenging. Mostly a lot of name calling, which alienated many here,
except those who were on his approved list, which itself was subject to
revision by the moment. And figure in that he was only good for 50 posts
and likely would go over that number with a little provocation, I don't
see where it was necessary to boot him.

> > And figure in that he "needed" us (which of course he would not
admit), even though we paid somewhat a price for that, I sort of felt it
was worth it.

> > Right now, all we have is what is up to the administrator and if any
members get their balls in a knot, then any rule could out anyone of us.
It makes me afraid to post. All he was doing was pointing that out. He
did not know a person's name using the secret anonymous username and
called them out on it to harm them, he found it just like anyone can do
on a search.

> Steve, no matter what Rick does he isn't going to please everyone.
It's probably why he stays out of our business as much as possible. I
recall that you advocated for a timeout for Ravi's foul over the top
rant at me. By the way, thanks for standing up for me. IMO you got more
flack for that than you deserved, so thank you.

> At the time I thought only porn could get you the boot so I said Ravi
shouldn't be censored. I figured he would still launch rants from time
to time, so I decided I'd just stay out of his way. I'm sorry that Rick
"nuked" him. At this juncture, I think a timeout, as you previously
suggested, would have been a more appropriate action.

> After Ravi launched a full bore rant at me for jerking his chain, Bob
jump on me for stuff I said to Robin about Ravi, then I had to deal with
feelings of confusion and betrayal about whether Ravi's melt down was a
fake, then a bunch of apologies and recriminations ensued. I gotta say,
I have never felt so emotionally drained on FFLife.

> "It makes me afraid to post" is a bit hyperbolic. We have plenty of
button pushers who could use a time out, but you aren't one of them.
Ravi was in a class by himself. I believe he took Robin's beautiful post
to heart. Maybe he could have learned something from his mistakes if
Rick had had a "three strikes [timeouts] and you're out" policy, perhaps
a warning prohibiting gratuitous abuse. Now we'll never know. I'll miss
the motherfucker.

> > > Now if Ravi had purposely decided to ask people off of the board,
what is his name, then I could see a breach in trust on FFL.
> > > It would have been best if the rules of the board, said no real
names used, associated with anonymous handles, but I read people calling
people all the time by their real name as the anonymous handle becomes
wayside, regularly. This is something many have forgotten in the past 10
years on the Internet. He was definitely pushing buttons to make a
point. Does one see Bob Price here or the Zebra man? I do not think they
were afraid of Ravi. Some of the best writers, gone. I am not afraid of
Ravi and I don't even know him. I would trust him with my kids,
regardless of all the uproar trying to make him appear mentally ill on a
message board.
> > > If the excitement is removed from FFL, I guess it will still be a
good place to plug in to find past friends and chat with them about
their experiences with dealing with life and what comes afterward.

> > > Welcome back!
> > >

> > > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, zarzari_786 <no_reply@>

didn't leave because we are cowards (oh the aggressiveness of it!), but
because some of us simply live in different time zones. IOW, when Judy
is just about to warm up, it's already past midnight here!

min per day don't work for me, unfortunately I am a slow typer, and
foreigner at that, so some of the more juicy words (usually signifying
emotion, or moralistic POV's) I have to look up.

post in a straight forward way, you have to study a whole metaphysical
system to even be able to converse with them! (and that's not a put
down!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIaORknS1Dk

FFLife needs to be more accurate. Let's give the dudes something to aim
for. How about a pissing contest?

complete teeth grinding bark, protection for their red fire hydrant in
multiple layers of consciousness available if only to break through
their awareness as something more that tangible, all muddled together 75
foot lead wall with dancing football cheerleaders in cowboy lingerie.

Ravi only

Barry's