--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Xenophaneros Anartaxius"
<anartaxius@...> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Susan" <wayback71@> wrote:
> >
> > Great idea, but way too logical and alarmingly measurable.  Hopefully, the
> > folks from the inner circle who scan these posts will hear of this.
> >
> > Here's another idea - open up a separate place in Ffld to do Program
> > (Probation Hall) for all those banned people who would really like to
> > meditate in the Domes.   Let them meditate and contribute to world peace
> > etc, but without contaminating the people in the regular Domes.  And if you
> > attend Probation Hall programs regularly, swear to your purity, OR make a
> > large donation, you can absolve your sins and work your way into the big
> > Domes.  Problem solved.
> >
> > I do see from Buck's point of view how frustrating this whole situation is.
> > There is no way to get forgiveness on this issue.
>
> Susan, Doug Hamilton has been on this from the earliest posts to this forum,
> long, long before I came on here. Post #6 and post #13:

> He seems genuinely concerned about this disruption of community. As spiritual
> movements degenerate into religion (belief as opposed to direct experience) I
> suspect the resistance to testing the metaphysical underpinnings of the
> enterprise becomes more intense. There are many metaphysical ideas which have
> testable physical consequences because they are supposed to have a result in
> the world.
>
> For example global warming does appear to be increasing. The Church of the
> Flying Spaghetti Monster (http://www.venganza.org/) claims this is because
> the number of pirates in the world is declining:
>
> http://www.venganza.org/images/PiratesVsTemp.png

A graph!  Aha. That proves it. Thanks:-)

> However the number of pirates on the high seas seems to have increased in the
> past couple of decades from something like 100 to perhaps 3000, largely
> because of Somalia. This is a serious theological threat to the Church of the
> Flying Spaghetti Monster (COTFSM) because the number of pirates is
> increasing, but global temperatures continue to rise. And there are of course
> online pirates that have increased significantly to, although, strictly
> speaking, the COTFSM is referring specifically to pirates on the high seas.
>
> The Church here referred to is of course a parody of religious thought, but
> it is exactly the kind of thinking the TMO expects people to have. Anyone
> here on this forum who has a spiritual bent, not excluding me either, has
> probably fallen into the ridiculous logic promoted by this way of thinking
> one time or another, even without realising it. What we see here on the forum
> is people that are in various stages of breaking away from that misguided
> logic, and trying to come to terms with existence as it is, not as we think
> it ought to be, or more particularly, as someone else thinks we ought to
> think it to be.

Very well said..I too am in that process and it is interesting and not always
comfortable at all.  Sometimes I miss the fairy tale mentality and the feeling
that I am pretty certain about things. For example, I wish I still believed in
reincarnation, but am now not so sure at all about that.  Also, it seems more
and more likely that awakening is  just a brain state that we encourage thru
various practices.  It results in the death of the ego, so those who are
awakened in this way have, in  a sense, already died.  Of course, they are also
seeing things more for the way they really are, which is good - I think.  So
they don't really care about life after death since there is no I anyway.  I
ramble...... and am not thinking so clearly, but you get it.