The way I think of this neuroscience information about free will is that I am
internally herding cats. I never wake up and want to go down to the sidewalk,
draw a hop scotch court with chalk and skip through the course.  I want to pick
up my guitar and play.  That is the accumulation of choices from my past.  So I
might not be consciously freely choosing my guitar, but it is a result of a
lifetime of following my inner impulses that I am not conscious of.

My original impulse that lead me to pick up a guitar in the first place may not
have been free will either.  But shaped by circumstances, it did happen and I
kept it up.  What part of me kept it up?  All of me, conscious and unconscious.
And if the conscious choice seems contrived because the impulse came from deep
inside under consciousness, I am cool with that because that is me too.  In
fact I identify more with the unconscious part of my mind the more I perform.
My conscious mind is floating on the totality of me, which has many capacities
I consciously lack, but which can be forced out by putting me into situations
where this is required.

That is what I call self development these days, putting myself into challenges
where I have to express more potential into actuality.  I have to kind of trick
myself to be all that I can be.  It is OK that I can't consciously access it
because contexts force it out. And the more I do that, the bigger my sense of
myself becomes.

In this way of looking at myself, the silent part of my mind is only an
adjunct.  I need just enough so I can navigate easily between these too aspects
of my conscious and unconscious mind, but not so much that it becomes an end in
itself, which I know from past experience, it can.  If my conscious free will
is an illusion, that is OK as long as I still wake up and pick up a guitar
instead of a piece of chalk and a handful of Jacks. (not that there's anything
wrong with that!)

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Xenophaneros Anartaxius"