> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Xenophaneros Anartaxius" <anartaxius@>
> wrote:
<snip>
> > This experience and the research on how decisions are made
> > in the brain throw an interesting monkey wrench into the
> > concept of personal responsibility. The solution to this
> > is to recognise we can still act as if we had free will,
> > because that is the way it feels even if it is not true...
>
> Or, one could act as if we have free will because it is
> obvious that we do.

It's *apparent* that we do. We don't know yet for sure
(and may never know).

 Your call. You are suggesting that
> we ignore our everyday experience in favor of *theories*,
> told to us either by Bronze Age theorists or more modern
> ones. Call me crazy, but I'm going to go with the obvious,
> my own personal experience.

Nobody's suggesting that we ignore our everyday experience.
It's entirely possible to entertain the no-free-will theory
without its affecting our sense that we do have free will.

For that matter, even if it were to be *proved* that we
don't have free will, it wouldn't change the sense that we
do.