My opinion is that SeattleInsight, being connected to the Insight Meditation
Society and the Barre Center in Massachusetts, will provide you with excellent
instruction at a reasonable price. The group in Mass. has an excellent
reputation and surely has some quality controls in place regarding teacher
training in allowing the Seattle group to link the name. Thich Nhat Hahn is
excellent. I was also aware of Joseph Goldstein, Sharon Saltzberg and others
when "Stu" (s2ness is a cool dude who shows up here on FFL once in a blue-moon)
posted a link here on FFL to insightla.org.

You could learn it from a book such as one of Thich Nhat Hahn's, but there is
great value in gaining instruction in a structured environment. There are
countless techniques of Mindfullness and a formal class will ground you in a
handful. Others are easily added later as you wish. Have you ever read about
the bell that rings at random times at any of Hahn's centers such as Deer Park
near San Diego? Powerful stuff.

If you want all Buddhist flavor stripped away while getting exactly the same
instruction you could look here:

http://www.umassmed.edu/cfm/home/index.aspx

http://w3.umassmed.edu/MBSR/public/searchmember.aspx

This is a very well known program begun by Jon Kabat-Zinn over 30 years ago.

The standard MBSR program is 9 classes over 8 weeks. Each class about 3 hours.
There is a full day class, about 7 hours long, after week 6 in which you
practice a variety of techniques while spending an entire day in Mindfullness.
Cost, I believe, is usually a sliding scale based on income, but maybe that is
up to the teacher. You are given a lesson each week and you are asked, for the
8 weeks, to make a time commitment of about an hour toward developing your
practice. After that, you are on your own.

At the end of that class you could certainly attend one of the other
InsightSeattle "sits" and not feel like awkward. The experience, I believe, is
universal. Universal but subtle. Once attained, you can dial it up in
enumerable ways any time you wish. Then, in time, you learn what the Insight
part is.

I value my TM practice also. I'm not obsessive about it. It feels good for me.
I practice it when I choose. I find it impossible to recommend to others,
currently, because of the nature and behavior of the organization that
promulgates it. Bevan and his toadies have, IMO, ruined the spread of a nice
simple relaxation technique.

Life's demands always seem to get in the way, huh? I am recommending learning
this meditation technique because you have often mentioned stress and PTSD. Go
to the MBSR siteand read up on the benefits and then go do it with them or the
Insight folks. The medical research cited by the U of Mass is, IMO, much more
reliable than that promulgated by the TMO.

I have an ulterior motive Emily. After you experience formal Mindfullness
instruction you may very well see, as others such as Curtis and TurquoiseB have
pointed out, how utterly and completely bullshit the criticisms of Vaj's
knowledge of TM is. All he is doing is reframing the experience in different
language. TM meditation is not Mindfullness meditation. Mindfullness meditation
is not TM. But, there is most certainly Mindfullness used in TM. The demonizing
you see here of Vaj is a result of not being able to see the forest for the
trees. Oh, and maybe Vaj has learned, over the course of nearly 2 decades, just
exactly which buttons he can push when ever he likes to see someone who holds
great animosity toward him to dance like a monkey on a chain in a very
predictable manner. Every time. Without fail.

Go do it Emily. Don't let life get in the way. I believe you will feel better
for it both physically and mentally.

Please let us know how it goes.