--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "authfriend" <jstein@...> wrote:
> wrote:
>>> <snip>

>> I checked many definitions of the term when I designed my course
>> including over a dozen books on the subject.  I am familiar with
>> the term in detail and you are misusing it as a way to make Sal
>> look bad. It also neuters an important term following your absurd
>> assertion that a power differential is not key.
>
> This is just bluster, Curtis. In fact, you're attempting
> to bully *me*.

I think Curtis is just elucidating points

> <snip>
>>> The Merriam Webster Collegiate* Dictionary, 11th edition,
>>> has this definition:
>>>
>>> "a blustering browbeating person; especially: one
>>> habitually cruel to others who are weaker."
>>>
>>> "Especially" does not mean "limited to."
>>
>> The definition of browbeating includes "intimidation" because
>> it also rests on an inequality of power to be
>> meaningful.
>
> Are you really trying to claim one person can't intimidate
> another person unless there's an inequality of power to
> start with? That's just bizarre. Intimidation can *create*
> an inequality of power between two people who were peers
> to start with. And so, of course, can bullying.
>
>> "Especially" means in particular, to help distinguish this
>> word's meanings from others.  In other words they are
>> defining the term in terms of its reliance on the other
>> person being weaker.
>
> Nope, you're wrong, sorry. "Especially" defines a special
> sense distinguished from the more general sense of the
> definition that precedes it. "Especially" does not *limit*
> how the word may be used to that special sense. At least
> not per Merriam-Webster. It's called a "sense divider."

--------------------
      es·pe·cial·ly

      adverb

      Used to single out one person, thing, or situation over all others
      - he despised them all, especially Sylvester
      - a new song, written especially for Jonathan

      To a great extent; very much
      - he didn't especially like dancing
      - sleep is especially important for growing children
--------------------

I think Judy got you there Curtis.

I got this definition of 'bullying' from a New Zealand website:

"Bullying is when someone keeps doing or saying things to have power over
another person. Some of the ways they bully other people are by: calling them
names, saying or writing nasty things about them, leaving them out of
activities, not talking to them, threatening them, making them feel
uncomfortable or scared, taking or damaging their things, hitting or kicking
them, or making them do things they don't want to do."

Maybe there is a difference in the way girls and women intimidate, and the way
boys and men intimidate. Whether there is a perceived power differential or
not, the bully thinks they have the power, that the power differential exists
and the advantage is on their side. In a person to person situation, this may
already be established early in childhood. Certain people are known to be
weaker than others, less agressive than others, and some take advantage of that
knowledge. A bully is only surprised if their perception of power is in error.
For example, in male oriented action movies, the protagonist is theatened by
the antagonist or his henchmen. The protagonist and/or the henchment make their
move and get creamed, they get their butts kicked by the protagonist. But in a
school yard etc., this is much less likely, kids kind of know where they are in
the heirarchy of doom.

Online it is a bit more complicated because the visual, intuitive physical
clues about power are much less in evidence. A number of online incidents of
bullying seem to have relied on an actual physical familiarity of the people.
Now here on FFL, it is less clear, though there are pictures of some of the
people here. I do not think Curtis talks like a bully normally, and Judy, I
think you tend to use language in a way that seems kind of like bullying, in
the sense of the New Zealand definition, I think you use it to attempt to get
power over others. Your are probably better at this than Curtis could be
because you know meanings and syntax better. Curtis mispells words from time to
time.