--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Xenophaneros Anartaxius"
<anartaxius@...> wrote:

> > <curtisdeltablues@> wrote:
>
> >> I checked many definitions of the term when I designed my course
> >> including over a dozen books on the subject.  I am familiar with
> >> the term in detail and you are misusing it as a way to make Sal
> >> look bad. It also neuters an important term following your absurd
> >> assertion that a power differential is not key.
> >
> > This is just bluster, Curtis. In fact, you're attempting
> > to bully *me*.
>
> I think Curtis is just elucidating points. "Misusing it
as a way to make Sal look bad" is bullying.

> >> The definition of browbeating includes "intimidation" because
> >> it also rests on an inequality of power to be
> >> meaningful.
> >
> > Are you really trying to claim one person can't intimidate
> > another person unless there's an inequality of power to
> > start with? That's just bizarre. Intimidation can *create*
> > an inequality of power between two people who were peers
> > to start with. And so, of course, can bullying.
> >
> >> "Especially" means in particular, to help distinguish this
> >> word's meanings from others.  In other words they are
> >> defining the term in terms of its reliance on the other
> >> person being weaker.
> >
> > Nope, you're wrong, sorry. "Especially" defines a special
> > sense distinguished from the more general sense of the
> > definition that precedes it. "Especially" does not *limit*
> > how the word may be used to that special sense. At least
> > not per Merriam-Webster. It's called a "sense divider."
>
> --------------------
>       es·pe·cial·ly
>
>       adverb
>
>       Used to single out one person, thing, or situation over all others
>       - he despised them all, especially Sylvester
>       - a new song, written especially for Jonathan
>
>       To a great extent; very much
>       - he didn't especially like dancing
>       - sleep is especially important for growing children
> --------------------
>
> I think Judy got you there Curtis.

Thanks, but note that it's Merriam-Webster who got him
there. That's how they use the "esp." designation, to
elucidate a particular sense encompassed by a more
general sense. "He despised them all, especially
Sylvester" is the closest example you've given above:
the general followed by the particular. What Curtis is
trying to claim with regard to the "bully" definition
amounts to insisting that the person despised *only*
Sylvester, which is clearly absurd.

The M-W dictionary has extensive explanations in the
front of the book of all the various terms used in its
definitions; this isn't just my interpretation based
on the definition of "especially."