This, from a friend:

"As for bringing democracy to Iraq, someone said to
me the other day that its like the person driving around
the countryside of Ireland looking for Dublin. When he
stopped to ask a local former for directions, the farmer
thought for a moment, and then said, 'The only advice
I can give you is to start from somewhere other than here.'"