--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "feste37" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> The real question is why does America think that it has a right to
> "bring democracy" to Iraq, or to anywhere else for that matter. We
> have no such right. Iraq needs a strong ruler; it was better off
> under Saddam Hussein.

It's one thing to try to impose democracy;
it's quite another to remove the obstacles
to it.

Iraqis do seem to want it, judging by their
participation in the elections.  And while
they may complain that they were better off
under Saddam in terms of basic services and
so on--the problems with which are largely
our fault--it isn't clear they'd want to go
back to him.

I'd worry that the only kind of strong ruler
who could emerge would be one the U.S. would
put in power.  I'm not sure there are any
potential strong men who could rule Iraq
*and* resist U.S. attempts at control.