--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "feste37" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Saddam Hussein was our natural ally in the Middle East, as far as
> fighting
> Islamic terrorism is concerned. Hussein repeatedly tried to improve
> relations
> with the US during the 1990s, but the Clinton Administration was
not
> interested. Hussein, unlike what we are told these days, did not
> regard the US
> as a permanent enemy. After all, he was our guy during the 1980s,
> when Iraq
> was at war with Iran, our enemy.  Now, when Iran is once again
> emerging (at
> least in the eyes of the neocons) as the big threat in the Middle
> East, we could
> use a powerful, pro-US dictator in Iraq, instead of an Iranian
puppet
> state
> which is the most likely outcome of the current mess.

I also remember reading somewhere that when Saddam first considered
invading Kuwait that he did in fact touch base with the U.S.
Ambassador to Iraq to let her know his feelings.  Somehow there was
a miscommunication and Saddam got the impression that the U.S.
wouldn't mind if he invaded.

And so he did.

Anyone else every heard anything on this?