> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "feste37" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> > Saddam Hussein was our natural ally in the Middle East, as far as
> > fighting
> > Islamic terrorism is concerned. Hussein repeatedly tried to
improve
> > relations
> > with the US during the 1990s, but the Clinton Administration was
> not
> > interested. Hussein, unlike what we are told these days, did not
> > regard the US
> > as a permanent enemy. After all, he was our guy during the 1980s,
> > when Iraq
> > was at war with Iran, our enemy.  Now, when Iran is once again
> > emerging (at
> > least in the eyes of the neocons) as the big threat in the Middle
> > East, we could
> > use a powerful, pro-US dictator in Iraq, instead of an Iranian
> puppet
> > state
> > which is the most likely outcome of the current mess.
>
> Well, we certainly seem to have no problems working
> closely with other murderous dictators to further
> our own interests.

With the exception of that schmuck Jimmy CArter, any time a U.S.
president has worked with "murderous disctators" it has been because
the alternative was much worse.

If the standard is that the U.S. will only deal with countries that
hold a high moral or human rights code, then the list of countries
we'd have contact with would be Britain, Luxembourg, and Canada (and
Canada is suspect).

Jimmy Carter's actions vis a vis Afghanistan and Iran probably
contributed to several millions of deaths because of his silly
standards.